Unix SDK?

Started by
7 comments, last by Exellon 21 years, 7 months ago
I''m wondering if there is something equivalent to the Win32 SDK on Linux because I plan to start doing some programming on it.
Advertisement
Everything you need should be in /usr/include and /usr/lib, at least as far as the system API is concerned. Of course, if you want to use a GUI toolkit, you may have to install it. Straight X11 programming is ... interesting.

Documents [ GDNet | MSDN | STL | OpenGL | Formats | RTFM | Asking Smart Questions ]
C++ Stuff [ MinGW | Loki | SDL | Boost. | STLport | FLTK | ACCU Recommended Books ]
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
Is gcc the compiler of choice?
Yes, it most certainly is.
ReactOS - an Open-source operating system compatible with Windows NT apps and drivers
gcc more or less sucks (at least the <=2.95 versions), but it IS the standard, so that''s what you gotta use.
quote:Original post by CmndrM
gcc more or less sucks (at least the <=2.95 versions), but it IS the standard, so that''s what you gotta use.

If this isn''t flamebait, I don''t know what it is .

I''m a big fan of GCC, mainly because I believe that standard compliant compilers are a Good Thing. However, I''ll try to ignore this .
For new projects, use GCC 3.2

For compiling all programs on any given system, GCC 2.9.x is the only thing guaranteed to work.(well, it''s not really guaranteed, but you get the idea)
If you want to do GUI development, look into using QT from
TrollTech. I''ve been using this for about 6 months and I find it easy to learn and use.

quote:Original post by AlekM
If you want to do GUI development, look into using QT from
TrollTech. I''ve been using this for about 6 months and I find it easy to learn and use.

There are many GUI toolkits: Qt (we don''t capitalize the T ) as you have mentioned; Gtk; whatever the hell AfterSTEP is built on...

I personally dislike the fact that you have to run your Qt code through moc prior to "regular" compiling and linking, but it''s a small price to pay. I believe there''s also WxWindows or so, which is also cross-platform.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement