Romance in RPGs

Started by
28 comments, last by Exellon 21 years, 7 months ago
Romance in RPGs is fun, as long as it''s not too cliché
__________________I have a computer!
Advertisement
Well, I was thinking that maybe there would be more than one person you could fall in love with or could fall in love with you. One of them could be your sort of sidekick througout the game that you meet early on, and then in the middle of the game you meet this chick who falls in love with you and you start to gain interest in, and the entire storyline can branch off completely because of the jealousy arising between the two girls. There could also be a way to branch it back if you find out that the second girl has been playing you the entire time and was informing the lead boss of your every move. If you never find out the second girl was a spy then the branch would go on as normal and just be another way to meet the boss, except that you might meet him earlier.
One of the great things about the romance with Jahaira in Baldurs Gate II was very interesting. It wasn''t just the whole Idea of the "romance" music or anything like that. She was a genuinely interesting character. Her recent partner had died and she was truly an emotional wreck... Half the fun was calming her down from totally abusing you to giving you little hints... And Aerie! WOW! She really did get bitchy at me when I chose Jahaira...

Its definitely the little things like that that made the game

-Chris Bennett of Dwarfsoft - The future of RPGs GPA Thanks to all the goblins in the GDCorner niche
To prevent any misfortune, follow the same trees or similar to the romances that BGII did. You cant go wrong using the same equations as almighty bioware. One thing I would like to see though is something unpredictable... like if you go after one girl in it then she doesnt like you but one morning you 2 wake up in the same bed with beers all over the night stand and wonder what you just did then have a whole drama spout from that. Anyways I am just rambling.
Definitely! She will despise you for getting her drunk and sleeping with you, when you never did such a thing...
LOL you guys are bad
Personally, I cant help but feeling guilty, Aerie is such a nice person who needs comforting, but she is a bit of an airhead (as Jaheira oftentimes points out). The problem is that it''s a bit hard to know you are hurting one if you go with the other.
Thanks to cheating a little bit (I read a few spoilers), I discovered that you can pair Aerie with someone (that I wont tell you in case you dont wanna know), so now I am desperately trying to find the guy, without Jaheira falling too much for me (well, that''s a bit too late for that I think, I almost died to save her from brigands in the Forest, already).

One thing I love is the constant bitching between Jaheira and Aerie, how realistic to see beautiful creatures turning into fierceless animals when it comes to having what they want

Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
Romance in a game would maybe spoil the game for homosexual gamers. The percentage of homosexual gamers is open to discussion.

Hey, I''m hetero, I have a girl-friend! I just had to think about this for some reason. :D
ummm... homosexual gamers?
Yeah, probably a lot of them play games, but last i checked, the total homosexual percentage of the states was like... 7%. I don''t think we''d be offending a very large demographic. If they chose to be offended at all.

Anyways, i bet that a homosexual gamer would care just as much about a male/female relationship as a male/male or female/female relationship. The only difference is that they might have a better cahnce of relating to the homosexual content.
"Luck is for people without skill."- Robert (I Want My Island)"Real men eat food that felt pain before it died."- Me
I don''t think homosexuals would be too much offended. I mean, they''re used to it from all the movies and stuff ;-)
Plus, there are also movies with homosexual relationships (sorry i have no examples), and I personally don''t feel offended by them - they can even be romantic (though I''m still hetero).
I think love just feels the same, whether you''re homosexual or not. (I''ve also chatted with homosexuals and they said the same (about love)).

Shouldn''t one be thinking the way the character feels and not the way he self feels? (in RPGs)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement