Romance in RPGs

Started by
28 comments, last by Exellon 21 years, 7 months ago
Yeah I know. How would you go about doing this? My first thought was to be like you meet this chick early on in the game and that''s also one way to branch it into an unlinear story like it''s either, she starts to like you and you fall in love and whatever, or she absolutely hates you but follows you around nevertheless.
Advertisement
I''m not into romance in RPGs. If I wanted love stories, I would watch a soap opera.

FF7 did it well; it was low-key and subtle. FF8 did it poorly.
Romance in RPGs is a great way to advance the storyline. It gives a character a reason to do things. Love is a powerful motivator.

£§
quote:Original post by LoneStranger
Romance in RPGs is a great way to advance the storyline. It gives a character a reason to do things. Love is a powerful motivator.

I tend to agree, however, if done wrong, there are 101 ways that love can mess up a great overall story.

Baldur''s Gate 2 did romances really well, when meeting certain bosses they interact with the character your character has fallen in love with, in one case you have to trek all over the countryside to resurect them
Does the player have a choice about falling in love? What happens if the NPC falls in love with the player, but the player doesn''t respond?

JSwing
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Does the player have a choice about falling in love? What happens if the NPC falls in love with the player, but the player doesn''t respond?
JSwing

What about if the player falls in love with the NPC? Now, it''s the NPC who does not respond.
First meeting: "Hello"
Second meeting: "It''s good to see you"
Third meeting: "Howdy"
Fourt meeting: "It''s good to see you"
Fifth meeting: "It''s good to see you"

My compiler generates one error message: "does not compile."
Low key is the way to go.

Don't turn on the sappy music and TELL the player that he is falling in love. If the woman is attractive, interesting and mysterious, doesn't say really, really obvious crap, and doesn't have an annoying voice--you got a shot. Ahem...Sexy is a plus.

The fact is that guys all have different tastes in women makes pleasing everyone impossible, as any fan of anime can tell you. But you can't let that from creating a character that a lot of guys would like. And like respectfully, please.

I would prefer it to be something that goes unsaid throughout the game. It just shows up through conversational bits, odd silences, and steering around subjects--just after they stumbled into them.

It is the FALLING in love part that is attractive and exciting. Don't establish a relationship early on, and force the player to maintain it. Haha... that could be a cruel, cruel game.

Good luck !

CDV

[edited by - Warsong02 on August 17, 2002 3:47:57 AM]
I agree with Warsong02.

Let me give you my opinion about love in games, since everybody has different opinions:

Do not make the handsome guy fall in love with the pretty lady!! I''m just sick looking at it, it''s very common in every game (especially Japanese RPG), where the main hero (the only chosen person, the prophet, whatever) fall in love with the only lady in the party.

Anyway, this kind of pattern can almost be seen in almost any Japanese (and not Japanese) games:

1. Handsome, Chosen Hero
2. Beautiful Girl
3. Strong, muscular guy.
4. Funny, stupid kid
5. Arrogant, selfish guy, probably the rival of the Chosen Hero.
6. Wise old man, usually the "sensei" of both the Chosen and the Arrogant.
7. Tough (handsome) opponent, the last person you fight before the final boss.

Arrghhh, I''m just sick with those characters.

Tension might work well, too.

Imagine being on a spy mission where she makes certain comments during a battle that just endears you to her (or him, for female players) but you don't really get the chance to have any moments of intimacy or say how you really feel.

Lots of shows on TV had good runs because of the tension, and ruined themselves by allowing the main characters to actually get together.

[edited by - Waverider on August 17, 2002 7:26:11 AM]
It's not what you're taught, it's what you learn.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement