Build in C++.net

Started by
5 comments, last by oto76mm 21 years, 8 months ago
I wrote a simple application that display a image using C++.net I didn''t use MFC and had define #WIN32_LEAN_AND_MEAN. But my release build file size was about 1.44M, I see no reason to have such a big file size for my application. Does anyone know what Complier option I may have set wrongly to general such large file ? following Lib was found in Linker command-line kernel32.lib user32.lib gdi32.lib winspool.lib comdlg32.lib advapi32.lib shell32.lib ole32.lib oleaut32.lib uuid.lib odbc32.lib odbccp32.lib ddraw.lib dxguid.lib D3d8.LIB D3dx8.lib
Advertisement
I don''t know what''s different about VC++.net as opposed to VC++6, but in VC++6 making sure you have it set to "Release" as opposed to "Debug" cuts down the file size fairly significantly...

Did you do that?
---DirectX gives me a headache.
Several things may be the result.

1) Make sure you're actually compiling to a pure executable and not the generic .NET type executable VS.NET can make (not exactly sure how I can explain this clearly).
2) Start an empty project, and not try not to use precompiled headers. (like stdfx.h, or something like this). Not sure why that would make a difference.
3) Include fewer libraries, and only use what you definately need.
4) Don't include the texture as a resource in the executable. That's my guess at why its happening.

I have a program which displays a texture and a fair bit more (runs off a script).

Program: 72kb
Script: 432 bytes (4kb used)
BMP's: 56kb

linked libs:

d3d8.lib winmm.lib dxguid.lib kernel32.lib user32.lib gdi32.lib winspool.lib comdlg32.lib advapi32.lib shell32.lib ole32.lib oleaut32.lib uuid.lib odbc32.lib odbccp32.lib

Compiler settings:

/nologo /ML /W3 /GX /O2 /D "WIN32" /D "NDEBUG" /D "_WINDOWS" /D "_MBCS" /Fp"Release/test.pch" /YX /Fo"Release/" /Fd"Release/" /FD /c

[edited by - Nytegard on August 16, 2002 1:05:24 AM]
quote:Original post by Nytegard
1) Make sure you''re actually compiling to a pure executable and not the generic .NET type executable VS.NET can make (not exactly sure how I can explain this clearly).

Actually, a comparable .NET exe would be far smaller than this.

--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
Did you try turning off managed C++? Then if on release build open the properties for the soulotion and then go under C++/Optimizations and change to favor small code.
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989
Actually, a managed C++ application is tiny compared to a similar non-managed one.

My guess would be that your image is a resource in the executable, right? That''s why it''s so big, the image is probably stored uncompressed...

Also, defining WIN32_LEAN_AND_MEAN won''t do much in the way in decreasing your executable size (at least, not that much). The main reason for it is decreasing compile times.

If I had my way, I''d have all of you shot!

codeka.com - Just click it.
Thanks every one for helping. Now I know what actually happen.
I have add a BMP(1.4M) file into the Resources Files folder in c++.net. After removing it my release version is only 35k.

Thank everyone for your advice.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement