Grand Theft Auto type game: yeah?

Started by
21 comments, last by Gaping Head Wound 21 years, 7 months ago
When I first read this the first movie that popped into my mind was Natural Born Killers. You might want to watch that movie for inspiration. Another movie that comes to mind is Badlands.

There are a lot of neat things you could do with this idea. When you stay at hotels it would be cool if you could change your appearance. Dye your hair, change clothes, wear a wig, etc.

If it''s going to take place in the desert there are a few things you could do to make it interesting. How about mirages and illusions? Insane halucinations. That''s all aspectes that are actually in Natural Born Killers that made the movie so cool. The could probably be translated over to a game to make it very effective.
Advertisement
So, you want me to stick to a more "life of crime" kind of feel? i was thinking it would be cool to have a game like gta3, as far as driving through cities and stuff, but with the psychotic madness of Twisted Metal.

If you''re talking about the realism in mafia, well, i''m pretty sure that we got that covered, you really should read up on the other threads, to get an idea of how far we''ve gone so far for realism in another game. it''s almost ridiculous. about shooting tires out, yeah. we got that planned. about roadblocks and bulletholes and blood splattering on the windshield and the rearview mirror cracking and cars leaning and rims sparking and engines smoking and all that, we''re gonna have all that. don''t you worry.

I really want feedback on whether or not it would be a good idea to go the Twisted Metal route. i''m a big fan of Destruction Derbies and stuff, i think it''d be great to see that stuff with per pixel hi detection (like in SOFII:DH) and per polygon physics for damage modeling in a game, but i think that a Destruction Derby only game will get pretty freakin boring. i want guns, i gotsta have my guns, god and government, man... (sory, MM reference. FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!...) I can''t have a game without fire, blood, guns, and gore.

So what should it be?

Dark and brooding, depressing and scary, a la SE7EN, Fight Club, Twisted Metal" Black?

or Deep, intriguing, crime noir, seedy a la Max Payne on wheels?

Hickish and rebelicious with hot biker babes and stripper babes and prostitute babes and nudity galore, with aliens and mansters and robots? a la Duke P/Nukem 3D?
...this is a recording.
I would avoid the Twisted Metal route. Those games have been done way too much and if you ever create one you''ll never be able to top Twisted Metal.

It should be more story driven but allow people the ability to do what they want. Sort of like GTA3 but I''d focus on ways to make it different from that game. A videogame about a murderous road trip has never been created before to my knowledge. I''d stick with that idea. An adventure through the desert to escape the police. You could either go across the border into Mexico, Canada, or you could try to hook up with a crime boss in a major city to hide from the cops, etc.

I''d stick with a more adventure game type feel with a good storyline and character development. The game could start out in Virginia or somewhere like that. You can either go north or south to get to Mexico/Canada. At a certain point as you''ve finished going through a state the game goes to a loading screen with a map of the US. I guess it could be similar to Cruisin'' USA''s map if you ever played that.

As you''re traveling you can kill people and steal their money, rob banks and gas stations, etc. You can use this money to buy weapons, food, etc. It would be cool if your choices of who you rob affect how people respond to you. Yes, the police will be after you but if you rob from corrupt politicians, mob bosses that are making people''s lives miserable, etc. then the citizens you meet will be more willing to help you out. They''ll let you stay at their house or distract the police when they''re after you.

This idea has a lot more potential than just another GTA or Twisted Metal clone. I''d try to flesh out some of the ideas that would make this game more unique from everything else out there.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement