Need some guidance

Started by
4 comments, last by x-bishop 21 years, 8 months ago
Ok, I am definately going to start to program some 3D games but im currently a broke University student and im looking for free ways to learn mostly graphic rendering *theory*..some pseudo code and sample code is ok...ill take anything i can get but i would prefer material that would resemble a textbook format heres alittle background.. I''m a forth year Computer Science undergrad so I''m not at all afraid to tackle any mathematics, im comfortable coding in C/C++/Java and both 68k/SPARC ASM, pretty much anything thats imperative. i know my basic data structures and algorithms, ive implemented my own simulator for a (harvard based ) CPU architecture as well as basic Operating System duties ( (VM) memory & cache management and implemented a simple compiler ..using primarily front end stuff (scanning/parsing/semantic analysis/sparse optimization and linking) using flex/lexx/YACC/Bison ok this sounds alittle like a resume..but i typed this just to let everyone know that im actually looking for more advanced theory on rendering/engine design i have to start from the beginning, i have created an automaton based game using the console as an interface and i would love to polish it up and move it over to 3D ...kind of like a DOS checkers to DirectX all the resources here are articles and im not quite sure where i can begin...id like to get a prototype up and running asap, akin to the software engineering concept of spiral development or maybe versioning ...can anyone guide me?
Advertisement
The DirectX 7 (good for DirectDraw/2D) and 8.1 (Direct3D) Software Development Kits (SDKs) are excellent resources. They''re available for free from Microsoft''s site. (something like http://msdn.microsoft.com/directx/ or so, do a search on microsoft''s download site if that doesn''t work)
Good resources are also available from nVidia and ATI - check their Websites'' "Developers" sections to get the newest SDKs.

The book I''m currently reading is "3D Game Engine Design" by David H. Eberly. If you want absolutely in-depth theory on the math and algorithms involved in realtime 3D graphics, get a copy of it, Amazon have it. It''s an excellent book, and it''s been pretty hard for me to understand some math parts of it - you probably won''t have much trouble. (I only just graduated from grammar/high school)
I know, books aren''t free, but this one will give you a complete reference and goes into more detail than you''re likely to ever need unless you also plan on writing a software renderer.

For getting started that should definitely keep you busy for a while. Once you''re really into it, get various white papers/dev docs from nVidia''s developer site. Although they obviously lean towards GeForce implementations, many of the described techniques are generally applicable.

- hillip@xenoage.de''>JQ
Full Speed Games. Period.
~phil
How nice *cough* that you know *exactly* the same stuff as any other CS grad does. I'm surprised you haven't done any 3d before. Anyways, this might sound like "1 step ahead, 2 steps back", but coding your own software renderer is a great learning experience. There will be a bandwidth issue so all of your SPARC optimize- know-how will come in handy.

Can i show off all my CS stuff also??

[edited by - ekas78 on August 18, 2002 7:34:26 PM]
______________________________Only dead fish go with the main-stream.
OT.

Hey, JonnyQuest, your signature is l0se. I think you meant to do something like this:

[twitter]warrenm[/twitter]

about my sig:
actually, no I'm trying to link to my e-mail address. the problem is, that the link needs to be
<a href="mailto:phillip@xenoage.de">JQ</a>
but it comes out as
<a href="mailtohillip@xenoage.de">JQ</a>
STUPID STUPID forum system...

-JQ
Full Speed Games. Period.

[edited by - JonnyQuest on August 19, 2002 5:57:08 AM]
~phil
Yeah and you can''t put the sig in code tags as that''ll get rid of the link. I wouldn''t have an e-mail in a sig anyway as e-mail harvesting spammer apps can easily pick it up.

About the post though, it''s very nice to have someone looking for theory behind something instead of "I NEED TEH SOURCE COED FOR DOOOM 3 FOR MY MMORPG!!!!"

If you read the DirectX Graphics section of the DirectX 8.1 SDK from the beginning you''ll learn a lot. It has sections on matrices, vertices and that sort of thing.

It''s a shame it doesn''t cover the software rendering side. I think it''s invaluable to know where 3D graphics came from, as you''ll know a lot more about the limitations of hardware 3D.

A google search for 3dica will help there.

- Pete

Helpful links:
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way | Google can help with your question | Search MSDN for help with standard C or Windows functions

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement