trouble with a windows 98 skeleton

Started by
9 comments, last by Moe 24 years ago
I was trying to get the windows 98 skeleton from "windows 98 programming from the ground up" (pages19 to 21). I managed to get it down to 3 errors. heres the code: // a minimal windows skeleton #include LRESULT CALLBACK WIndowFunc(HWND, UINT, WPARAM, LPARAM); char szWinName[] = "MyWin"; //name of window class int WINAPI WinMain(HINSTANCE hThisInst, HINSTANCE hprevInst, LPSTR lpszArgs, int nWinMode) { HWND hwnd; MSG msg; WNDCLASSEX wcl; //define a window class wcl.cbSize = sizeof(WNDCLASSEX); wcl.hInstance = hThisInst; //handle to this instance wcl.lpszClassName = szWinName; //window class name wcl.lpfnWndProc = WindowFunc; //window function wcl.style = 0; //default style wcl.hIcon = LoadIcon(NULL, IDI_APPLICATION); //standard icon wcl.hIconSm = LoadIcon(NULL, IDI_WINLOGO); //small icon wcl.hCursor = LoadCursor(NULL, IDC_ARROW); //cursor style wcl.lpszMenuName = NULL; //no menu wcl.cbClsExtra = 0; //no extra info needed wcl.cbWndExtra = 0; //no extra info needed //make the background brush white wcl.hbrBackground = (HBRUSH) GetStockObject(WHITE_BRUSH); //register the window class if(!RegisterClassEx(&wcl)) return 0; //now that a window class has been registered, a window can be created hwnd = CreateWindow( szWinName, //name of windows class "Windows 98 Skeleton", //title WS_OVERLAPPEDWINDOW, //window style: normal CW_USEDEFAULT, //x coord- let windows decide CW_USEDEFAULT, //y coord - let windows decide CW_USEDEFAULT, //width - let windows decide CW_USEDEFAULT, //height - let windows decide HWND_DESKTOP, //no parent window NULL, //no menu hThisInst, //handle of this instance of the program NULL, //no additional arguments ); //display the window ShowWindow(hwnd, nWinMode); UpdateWindow(hwnd); //create the message loop while(GetMessage(&msg, NULL, 0, 0)) { TranslateMessage(&msg); //translate keyboard messages DispatchMessage(&msg); //return control to windows 98 } return msg.wParam; } //this function is called by windows 98 and is passed //messages from the queue LRESULT CALLBACK WindowFunc(HWND hwnd, UINT message, WPARAM wParam, LPARAM lParam) { switch(message) { case WM_DESTROY://terminate the program PostQuitMessage(0); break; default: //let windows 98 process any messages not specified in the preceeding switch statement return DefWindowProc(hwnd, message, wParam, lParam); } return 0; } It gave me the following errors: 1.(21) : error C2065: ''WindowFunc'' : undeclared identifier 2.(21) : error C2440: ''='' : cannot convert from ''int'' to ''long (__stdcall *)(struct HWND__ *,unsigned int,unsigned int,long)'', Conversion from integral type to pointer type requires reinterpret_cast, C-style cast or function-style cast 3. (70) : error C2373: ''WindowFunc'' : redefinition; different type modifiers can anyone here help me? - Moe -
Advertisement
For starters try this:

LRESULT CALLBACK WIndowFunc(HWND, UINT, WPARAM, LPARAM);
changes to:
LRESULT CALLBACK WindowFunc(HWND, UINT, WPARAM, LPARAM);

and also:

wcl.lpfnWndProc = WindowFunc; //window function
changes to:
wcl.lpfnWndProc = (WNDPROC)WindowFunc; //window function

Hope that helps

~deadlinegrunt

Make sure you have the following in your source file
#include

...if it''s working properly you shouldn''t have to cast
(WNDPROC) at all it should be fine.

Watch your spelling/capitalization too...c/c++ is picky about it.
~ blackspy
Ok..I just realized, you probably do have windows.h included there, seems the board removes part of the command when you put it in the "< >" ....

~ blackspy
blackspy and anyone else who wants to include a "<" or ">" in your post for stuff like

#include <windows.h>

a "<"= "& l t ;"
a ">" = "& g t ;"

(As when I post I probably will find that I screwed up too)

Edited by - Nytegard on 4/1/00 1:54:18 PM
Hehe. There are over 3000 people registered here, most of them computer interested, and this is the first time I see see someone do this correctly
Someone else might have done it before, though.

A polar bear is a rectangular bear after a coordinate transform.
A polar bear is a rectangular bear after a coordinate transform.
ok, this is really pissin' me of!!
what do you type so the little things (< >) don't clear the word they enclose?
do you put them in quotes?
that post by Nytegard wasn't very clear at all...

Edited by - Zipster on 4/1/00 4:44:13 PM
Zipster, I''m sorry if my other post was unclear.

< = "& l t ;"
> = "& g t ;"

Take what I have in quotes, and take the spaces out.
I''m sorry, but I don''t know how to type an ampersand, followed by a l (or g), followed by a t, followed by a semicolon in one string. It stands for less than and greater than. If you are still confused, look at the source code.
TEST: &ltstdio.h&gt.

Martin
______________Martin EstevaolpSoftware
Cool. Thanks Nytegard!

Martin
______________Martin EstevaolpSoftware

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement