Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Poya

DOT3 Per-Pixel Lighting + Light Mapping?

Hi I''m just wondering: Doom 3 will be using per-pixel lights and true stencil buffer shadows. Will it still be using pre-calculated lightmaps which are blended unto surfaces as textures? If so wouldn''t that be inconsistent with the stencil shadows? On a similar note, are the stencil shadows only done for models and certain surfaces or are they done for ALL surfaces (ie all BSP polys too) Again if the later applies it could not be consistent with the lightmaps. Sorry if I''m completely on the wrong track. I also know that Carmack hasn''t exactly released his engine as OpenSource (although there was that interview from couple of months ago which briefly outlined how the engine works) It''s just that I remember him saying on the first preview of the GF3 and Doom 3 engine, that with all the technology advances (shaders for example) we can now apply a unified lighting and texturing model to all surfaces in the scene and don''t need to do seperate things for models, and the environment, etc. I wanted to know how strictly true that is. BTW please don''t accuse me of trying to follow Carmack blindly. I''m simply learning from different sources :D Thanks