Brute force terrain rendering

Started by
5 comments, last by dustpuppy 21 years, 8 months ago
I have just coded my first brute force terrain renderer. Not too pretty, but I needed to start somewhere. Can any of you tell me what performance you have got for a heightmap that is say 128x128x8? I am getting a mighty 30fps. Forgot to metion some metrics. The terrain is being rendered as a triangle strip, I converted the code from an OpenGL tutorial, so it drawing 126x127x4 vertices every frame. Which is 64008. So with 30fps I get approx 1.9mil vertices a second. Not exactly the performance I was expecting. Seems a little low to me.
Advertisement
that does seem a little low, my brute force terrain renderer goes 60+ fps with a 256x256 heightmap. the bit depth doesn''t really matter, as the heights take the same amount of space. i simply have a indexed triangle list, i made one massive grid of vertices, and an index buffer to connect them all. i then render in 20000 vertice chunks at a time. isn''t it horrible
I just loaded a 256x256 terrain. 8fps.

I must be doing something seriously wrong.
What you''re doing wrong is you''re not culling away the offscreen triangles. Divide the terrain into several rectangles, and only draw the ones that are inside the view frustum.

--
MFC is sorta like the swedish police... It''''s full of crap, and nothing can communicate with anything else.
lol, what a thread...
There is no point in comparing fps unless you also compare system specs and do un-culled heightmaps from the same view point. But dont repeat vertices if you don''t need to dustpuppy - thats what indexing is for.
AndyM is right, there is aboslutely no sense
A 1024x1024 map using 512x512x16 textures (with 4 multipass textures who blends each others) runs between 40 and 80fps on my landscape renderer on a Duron 800 w/GF2MX 32mb.

And I bet if I use a 8192x8192 map the performance will be the same, why? Because frustum culling.
Hi there!
I have something about 150-200FPS in my brute force terrain renderer with 256x256x8 heightmap and 500x500x24 single texture. PC: P4 1.6,GF 3Ti 500

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement