How do I get the ball rolling?

Started by
2 comments, last by wombatvvv 21 years, 8 months ago
I bet you guys are sick of this question, but here goes anyhoo:- I''m a computer science student, but having almost finished my degree I''m still hopelessly unequip to attempt even simple computer game programming. I''ve done advanced OO programming courses and have got an undergraduate''s understanding of Java (whatever that may equate to). I''ve never done any C or C++, but I picked up a beginner''s C++ book from the library and went through it in a few days, practising the unfamiliar concepts with Borland''s free compiler. So I''ve got the basics (OO aspects, data structures, pointers etc.) down. Soon I''ll have Visual C++ 6.0, and I''d like to start some simple 2D graphics programming, with the view to programming a simple game (The beginner''s path on this site suggested ''Tetris'', and that sounds pretty cool to me). So what''s my next move here? Most of the tutorials I find on the web are all about (seemingly) advanced 3D graphics. I just want to get a bitmap on the screen first! Friendly advice and guidance anyone? :D
Advertisement
chech out the for begginers forum, but since you already seem to know how to code, look into DirectDraw...

CEO Platoon Studios
[email=esheppard@gmail.com]esheppard@gmail.com[/email]
Yeah, get a good grip on C++ in the console (should be no big deal for you with your Java background) and then move on to a graphics API. I suggest you try SDL (http://www.libsdl.org/ I think) or as eliscool said, DirectDraw. (the latter is closer to the hardware, SDL has a higher level of abstraction and even offers some platform portability)

- hillip@xenoage.de''>JQ
Full Speed Games. Period.
~phil
Well, SDL uses OpenGL when it can,
but I''d still go for DirectX, since im used to it
Start with DirectDraw, but as soon as you got the basics figured out, drop it and check out how to do 2D with Direct3D instead.
This will give you a lot of hardware accelerated features that doesn''t exist in DirectDraw, plus DD doesn''t exist anymore, they just keep it in DX for compability.

--
MFC is sorta like the swedish police... It''''s full of crap, and nothing can communicate with anything else.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement