Where do I start?

Started by
4 comments, last by cerlendson 21 years, 8 months ago
I would like to start creating a tile based game, (this is because I think it would be the easiest type of game to make multiplayer), but I''m not sure where to begin. Are there any good sites on creating isometric tile based games? I have found truck-loads of stuff on the theory, and concepts, but I would like to see some tutorials and code (perferably in c++). Any help would be apreciated.
Why can''t I write everything in PERL?
Advertisement
Well, read the tutorials with the theory and it shouldn''t really be a big problem to transform that into code. If it is a big problem, you''re probably not skilled enough yet; get up to grips with C++ or any other language and whatever API you''re using and then go back to the tile tutorials.
Apart from that, TANSTAAFL (the moderator of this forum) has written a book about exactly that. I bet you can find info on it in the FAQ of this forum.

- hillip@xenoage.de''>JQ
Full Speed Games. Period.
~phil
I''ve already purchased a book on Direct X and I know C++ fairly well (should be enough to start). I would just like to see some code. I find it the easiest way to understand how the theory is put into work. I would really like to avoid dropping another pile of cash on another book (I''m sure everyone can understand).
Why can''t I write everything in PERL?
I programmed my first tile engine in mode 13h

There are several ways to make tile engines. I made my first one up off the top of my head. I didn't read one thing on making them (kinda explained why the engine was soooo terible), but I learned a ton by doing it all by myself.

Try and think really hard on how to program in the tile engine. The one I am making right now is the best one I've ever made. It's a little bit slower than my last one (I get about 37 FPS on this one), but it is a lot easier to use, easier to add onto, better graphics capability, animated tiles, and a lot of other stuff. Sorry, I am just happy on how this engine I'm making is progressing .

[edited by - frenchfry164 on August 17, 2002 7:12:11 PM]
"Make a world of your own" - Kurt Cobain
Look in the resources section of this site. There are tons of articles related to tile engines.
Yeah, the best bet is to just get down and think how it could work, you''ll (have to) do that a lot in the future, as well, anyway, you can''t expect everyone else to write the code for you.
By the way, just buying a book won''t help you, you''ll have to read and especially understand it. Usually there''s a lot of sample code in there anyway. Try out and understand those samples. Then, there often are small problems in the books that you should solve on your own. Do that as well.
If your books, especially the DirectX one, are any good, you should then have no problems with a simple tile-based engine. If all else fails, go look at the articles on this site, and/or ask specific questions here if you run into problems. Don''t expect anyone to write any code for you, that won''t happen later on either.

Like frenchfry, I wrote my first tile-based engine in mode 13 (worked in mode 12, too!)

My last tile engine got 540fps by the way. (800x600x32) Sorry frenchfry

- hillip@xenoage.de''>JQ
Full Speed Games. Period.
~phil

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement