Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fisheye Image Transforms

This topic is 5599 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I’m very interested in seeing code for fisheye image transforms. I need to write a routine to create a panorama view from a fisheye image. I am told that Helmut Dersch''s wrote some tools to do this transform but his Web site is currently down (I think due to persecution by IPIX). If anyone knows how I can get hold of these routines then please let me know. Has anyone written a routine that will unwarp a hemispherical or angular fisheye image? If so then I’d like to see your transform. Cheers… Flurry

Hm, I don''t know the answer to your question, however I suggest you look up articles on environment mapping, so-called sphere maps in particular. I know it''s not quite what you want, but it''s pretty close; if you can adapt the projection from the various sphere mapping articles out there to only a hemisphere and then apply the inverse to your image, it might just work.

- hillip@xenoage.de''>JQ
Full Speed Games. Period.

Guest Anonymous Poster
this might work. the idea is based on reversing the anti-fisheye stuff from raycasters (get it?).

tan(a)=sqrt(x*x+y*y)/z, so =>
a=arctan( sqrt(x*x+y*y)/z )

so we take a fictive depth (z) to the picture. this provides us with the viewing angle (a). Now we calculate the distance from the picture (d) as follows:

d=z/cos(a)

And we use this distance for our perspective transformation.

u = x/d, v = y/d

As we can see we use d instead of z for our transformation basicly resulting in a fisheye effect.

I hope this works for you, just an idea that popped up.

earx

ps i hope this is what you want and not the other way around <G>