rendering question for 3d engine

Started by
3 comments, last by jwcoder 24 years ago
I have started coding my own 3d engine, and have ran into numerous problems. If someone could help me, I would greatly appreciate it. I have created a point3d, polygon, object, and world class. I got routines to render the world. My question is what is the process to render the world? I have looked all over the internet, but all I find is techniques not a solid process on how the engine would render the world. If someone could list the steps for me and possibly ways to speed up the render process I would be thankful.
Advertisement
The process used to render a world along with the chosen format of your data are the two inseperable elements of a 3d engine. If you are just starting out you should look at the basics, documented in various places - apply local rotations to objects, move them into world-space and then apply the inverse camera matrix to position them relative to the viewpoint. You then apply a projection matrix to incorporate perspective and end up with triangles in screen coordinates. There is plenty of useful detail available in books on basic rendering. When you are talking about creating an engine incorporating new technology you must find appropriate data formats and a more sophisticated rendering pipeline. For example, a quake-style engine might use BSP trees, a rally game might use a b-spline terrain engine, etc. At this point you will need graphics, an exporter for a 3d program, some kind of converter and a resource manager. Add to this your renderer and there''s an engine...
a good book to get to know the methods (no direct implementations, i.e. no "cut-and-paste" code) of some advanced topics, try www.realtimerendering.com
it''s a good book, worth $40, i think. others may disagree.
it starts with the absolute basics and works up to very advanced topics.

crazy166

some people think i'm crazy, some people know it
You must first kill the invisible geometry.
(BSP, Portal, octree...)
After that, you can make some Hidden Object Removal.
And then render the lasting object using the Z buffer to have a good image.
You''ll have to render shadow somewhere too.

You can/should use display lists to speed up the process.
Always faster, particulary on the PowerVR chipset.

Hopes it helps.

-* Sounds, music and story makes the difference between good and great games *-
-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-
Thanks for the help, I started the engine in dos and now I am working in windows. windows is bad enough let alone figuring out the engine''s problems. Thanks again.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement