need some advice

Started by
11 comments, last by Dalik 21 years, 8 months ago
Dalik,

You seem to have a great desire to learn the language and it''s methods and idiosyncacies(-2sp) which is a pretty good indicator on how well you''ll do. I''ve worked with l33t haxors and novices (though I''d consider myself neither) - the one thing they all have in common is the desire to sit through the boring hard parts to raise their knowledge of computers above and beyond the average programmer.

Sound familiar?

Stick with it. Try learning a little about C++ now, move on to Andre LaMothes Tricks of the Game Programming Gurus (it''ll teach one of the two popular methods (portions, at least) for programming the windows API(.vs. MFC)). Once you''ve become familiar with this move on to OpenGL/DirectX.

Jumping into the core of the windows OS without any prior knowledge of how Windows works or how to program C/C++ is a very steep cliff to jump off of. Andre''s book will at least give you a glimmer of how to approach game programming. By that time, you should be able to steer yourself into the next arena of your choosing!

Good luck!
- Advice, eh? Well, besides working on your swing...you know, besides that...I'd have to think.
Advertisement
Well I will give a bit more about my past, I started to program when I was 11, got a book on delphi and did it myself learned the basics, then I started on VB when I was 13 then when I was 14-15 tried C, that blew my mind away so I went back to vb till I started my course and I went through C very well. I covered java, vb, cobol they all came very easy.

The instructer noticed one thing about me is that he sees that I am very deticated to programming.

I know I need more math and I intend on going to take some classes when I get back to america. I have a few ideas in my head on 2d games, simple ones. I am a fast learner when I put my mind to something, and very dedicated to interested areas, but very bad when I am bored.

I downloaded SDL lastnight and read through the docs for an hour then, once I got on today I played with sdl for 4 hours, got a window up with full error testing. I tried to load a bmp file but its not working... So I am looking into it, its a pong game, just to get the feel for sdl really. So far its coming along very smooth but I am sure I will hit a steel wall soon.

So I take it I have to use opengl in order to use partical effects and all the other goodies in my 2d game?

thnx for all your replys

Dalik
Interested in being apart of a team of people that are developing a toolkit that can help anyone product an online game? Then click here http://tangle.thomson.id.au/
Not sure what you mean by needing OpenGL for particle effects. I don''t think any API does particle effects for you (correct me if I''m wrong). You need to make your own engine, and SDL can do that just as well as OpenGL can (only in 2D).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement