HELP

Started by
12 comments, last by XRCOWBOY 21 years, 8 months ago
Now that you have completed the "Caps Lock" tutorial, you should move on to the "Punctuation Tutorial"! =D J/K!!!!!

I'm sure that everyone is going to get in line to help you after that last post. No one even flamed you. The poster made one comment (in a humurous way) about your Caps Lock, and then directed you to read the first few articles on this site to help answer your questions. What are you so angry about? I suggest that you spend some time learning how to work with others on your journey to becoming a game developer. Lose the attitude, try not to be so sensitive, read the articles, check out the beginners forum, join the community, learn, enjoy, share, have fun.

[EDIT] BTW, it's ok to use caps to begin your sentence, when using proper nouns eg. Microsoft. When using I, I'm...

[edited by - zenassem on August 16, 2002 7:16:50 PM]
~Zen
Advertisement
Temporarily locked, check back around 8PM server time.

EDIT: Thread reopened

quote:Original post by AeroBLASTER
I'm always amazed at how tolerant people are on these forums. I would flame someone who did this so hard - and if I was an admin, he'd be banned and this thread deleted.

Fortunately I'm not in the mood for flames today, so I'll leave it be.

But for crying out loud, don't talk in all caps.

Forgive me for sounding harsh, but you must either be blind or an idiot to come into *this* forum and spew out *that* attitude. Perhaps you could elaborate (note: not here, I won't tolerate any more crap in this thread, use email) on why someone should be banned for asking how to start programming? In case your blind/illiterate the name of this forum is "For Beginners". It's where people ask beginner questions. If you believe that by being a member for a whole *16* days that you can suddenly decide what skill level of people are *allowed* to come here you are deeply mistaken. Read my forum policy and maybe a few of the FAQs while you are at it. If you keep this up you'll find out first hand what kind of people we *do* ban from this site.

quote:Original post by XRCOWBOY
time dedication computers math i got all that
im 16 years old 1 computer i bought and one i built with a lil help from experts which is what i came here for was a lil help but it seems most of yall are jerks but thanks to the few people that gave me links and stuff your help is great but for the rest of yall life the idiot crying cause i talked in caps wow big deal you sound like a whining baby so to get to the point all of you assholes can suck a cock and go to hell

XR_COWBOY

On a far less harsh note, XRCOWBOY, here are some pointers for using our forums and otherwise enjoying your Gamedev/Internet experience:

-Typing in ALL CAPS means you are shouting. It is difficult to read and normally thought of as inconsiderate behavior in discussion forums or on Usenet.

-Many of our members do not speak English as a first language, however when you are looking for help you should try your best to write clearly and concisely to ensure people can understand what you are saying and to avoid any misunderstanding. To allow others to understand you try and repeat or otherwise highlight key points, and use punctuation such as periods (.) and commas (,) to split your statements into logical segments.

-Your last post is something our members would consider rude and uncalled for. With one notable exception (who is being dealt with now) all of the respondents gave you useful information and advice to help you get what you want. Attacking people and using childish, vulgar language is about the worst thing you can do if you want people to help you. After being told to "suck a cock and go to hell" I doubt most of the people who saw this thread will be jumping to help you now.

[edited by - michalson on August 16, 2002 8:07:43 PM]
quote:Original post by Michalson
To allow others to understand you try and repeat or otherwise highlight key points, and use punctuation such as periods (.) and commas (,) to split your statements into logical segments.

Judging by what we know about XRCOWBOY from this thread, I would say he is capable of constructing a readable post but chooses not to. Personally, I generally ignore posts like that (where the poster "cannot be bothered") and I suspect there are others who do aswell, meaning XRCOWBOY is not doing himself any favours in achieving his stated objective. If I was to give any advice on learning programming it would be to get a whole new mental attitude - one more conducive to an intellectually demanding pursuit such as programming. This seems a good point to produce a link to Eric Raymond''s How To Become A Hacker, which seems relevant.
quote:Original post by Michalson
Forgive me for sounding harsh, but you must either be blind or an idiot to come into *this* forum and spew out *that* attitude. Perhaps you could elaborate (note: not here, I won''t tolerate any more crap in this thread, use email) on why someone should be banned for asking how to start programming? In case your blind/illiterate the name of this forum is "For Beginners". It''s where people ask beginner questions. If you believe that by being a member for a whole *16* days that you can suddenly decide what skill level of people are *allowed* to come here you are deeply mistaken. Read my forum policy and maybe a few of the FAQs while you are at it. If you keep this up you''ll find out first hand what kind of people we *do* ban from this site.

Please note that I did not make any mention of his skill level, the lack thereof, or anything of the sort. The opening line of my post (I''m amazed at how tolerant people are on these forums) was intended solely as a compliment to the users and moderators here - flame wars are rare, and when they occur, they are mild (at least by my standards). Threads that I often expect to, without a doubt, result in a flame war mysteriously do not, and I''d just like to say that you guys are awesome for that.

Anyway, back on topic, to clarify, I apologize for the comment about banning - a little hasty, to be certain - the reason I made that is because it''s one of my pet peeves to get PO''d when people start talking in all caps and without punctuation, which was the actual point of my post.

One last time, I in no way meant that he should not be here, either for his ''beginner-hood'' or any other reason. I''m a beginner (at least as far as C++, game programming, and the gamedev community itself goes) myself, and I fully understand the purpose of this forum. I would never flame anyone for being a beginner, or suggest that they should be banned because of it - everyone''s a beginner at some point and looking for answers.
---DirectX gives me a headache.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement