Game Idea

Started by
15 comments, last by Game Designer 21 years, 6 months ago
I would like to see a off-world futuristic fishing game. Where you can catch anying from trout on earth to 50'' long ocean going reptiles on a small planet in the wolf system. Be able to pick from various craft to fish from and all sorts of rigging for pulling out the huge ones. I envision this with various views. From 1st person to a 360 degree player controlled camera. Also, with many types of aquatic detection devices.
Advertisement
Now THIS is creative.

Wow...good idea...

I never, in my life, coulda thought of something like that. Sheesh.
Great idea!
Got my mind working for sure, so if you want them, here are some additional ideas i came up with quite instinctivly

When you''ve caught the fish, which would be done in realtime by the player, you sell it, price determined by the wheight of the catch and of how exotic it is. Then you have a mobile HQ drifting about in outer space with scanning equipment (bought with money) which scan nearby (and far-off if the scanners are powerful enough) planets for new fish to catch.

To give the game long life, the challenge could be that some fish require special equipment to catch (really large fish cant be taken by hand for example). Then you have to catch the fish before your competitors do. New unusual fish spawns all the time and you just have to be first on site.

If you''ve already thougt of all this or just think it dumb, i won''t be insulted. It''s your game idea after all. These were just things popping up in my head as i saw your topic.
On the other hand if you do like these things, have them.

-----------------
So Staaf it hurts
Hack my projects! Oh Yeah! Use an SVN client to check them out.BlockStacker
What''s the target audience?

Frankly I don''t think many people would want to play it, just because of the theme (no offense intended, it''s just a very strange theme that not many people would think of as a game they''d want to play).
---DirectX gives me a headache.
You never tried to reel in a 70-foot snyklar using only a nylon-reinforced titanium fishing pole with a 30-gauge motorized reel from a light-motor hovercraft?

Then you haven't lived!

The poisonous ether leeches work best for bait against those, by the way. And they like it when you drag the bait in quick lurches, not just reeling it in slowly. Cast far and deep.

[edited by - Waverider on August 16, 2002 5:29:33 PM]
It's not what you're taught, it's what you learn.
For a beginer, quick lurches work best, but with the proper equiptment you''ll notice that most snyklars loose interest in the bait pretty quick if you keep it up. They like the chase, so get their attention, and then begin to reel in as quick as you can, but stop about 100 yds from the surface. This''ll trick them 98% of the time.

Of course, you''ve got to have pretty good equiptment to monitor them this closely. It pinches the pocket a little, but you should really shoot for a 3000 series Multidimensional Sonarscope (r). The 2800 series just didn''t handle temperature gradients well, and don''t even think about tracking one of the phase shifting branthars with one. The 3028 was probably the best purchase I''ve ever made.

CM
Interesting idea...lol. My dad will love it.

I kinda like the off-world safari idea in general (though fishing's not my bag). Fly from planet to planet with your mates and either stick with the local big game (Whew, check out that Walachtarous. Monster rack on that one) or maybe even do some Predator-style sentient hunting (here Arnie, Arnie, Arnie).

Fun.

[edited by - mearrin69 on August 16, 2002 6:18:07 PM]
I guess I am a beginner. I tend to stick with what works and keep using it. I do notice the bites get a little thin after a while.

I didn't realize they were fooled by the chase. I'll have to try that, I didn't think of it. Thanks!

I think the lurches do work just as they come out to feed, though, since they are very hungry at that time. They seem drawn to the light of the O'nara Nebula. It's occasional bright flashes must act like a beacon to draw them out of the depths. I usually go out about an hour after the nebula rises above the horizon.

(Any of this sparking your creative impulse, Game Designer?)

[edited by - Waverider on August 16, 2002 6:27:26 PM]
It's not what you're taught, it's what you learn.
Definitely do it, there''s nothing like a good fishing game. Sega Marine fishing rules.
Big game hunting on alien worlds? I LIKE it!

It would really have to be more of a simulation than a game, though. Unless the gameplay is really varied, I''m afraid the novelty would wear off quite fast.

"If you go into enough detail, everything becomes circular reasoning." - Captain Insanity
"If you go into enough detail, everything becomes circular reasoning." - Captain Insanity

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement