Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Using MFC seems to 'dumb down' the IDE..

This topic is 5600 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey- This isn''t so much of a problem as it is an annoyance. I can get this working, but MSVC++ just doesn''t seem to have any idea of what I''m doing. It''s almost like user-friendliness gone wrong. I''m working with an MFC-based application and am adding a support dialog to do a few extra things. This isn''t much of a problem, I just need a few pages of code to handle everything. I''m using straight Win32 api to control the dialog. I''ve actually got it working, but MFC just doesn''t seem to get it. Whenever I double-click on the dialog in the editor, I get: IDD_*** is a new resource. (No, it isn''t). Since it is a dialog resource you probably want to create a new class for it. (Actually, I don''t). You can also select an existing class. (If that''s what I wanted to do). Options are OK and Cancel. ''Cancel'' dumps me to the ClassWizard, which doesn''t help in particular way, since I did not create a class, and didn''t have any specific need to open the ClassWizard. The funny thing is, after completing the work, saving the project, reopening it, and recompiling all, MSVC++ STILL thinks this is a new dialog resource. At one point I DID create a class called "TemporaryClassToKeepMFCFromInterferingWithMyCode", this created a few files that I did not ask for, which I removed, which generated an error with the dialog, which prompted me to remove the class from the ClassWizard, which caused MSVC++ to perpetually view this dialog as a ''new'' resource, which it obviously is not. This is not a critical problem, because I know what I''m doing and I was able to do my work, but it frustrates me that the IDE I am used to has suddenly morphed into this monolithic Don''t-touch-this-or-that-without-my-permission IDE simply because the base code uses MFC. I''m glad that MS allows you to write code normally within an MFC-based app, but I''m a little surprised(and disappointed) that the IDE can''t tell the difference between a new resource and an existing resource. I write software. I know that this could have been fixed. Either they didn''t test, or they didn''t care. "Like all good things, it starts with a monkey.."