Best Game, Needs Help

Started by
10 comments, last by SSJay 21 years, 8 months ago
Hey, Ever felt that every game you play is exactly the same with a different story or slightly improved graphics? Well, to tell you the truth if you havent then you will some day ... I have the most fasinating story which I planned for years to try to improve and write to create into a movie, but time passed and the idea just grew and grew... then I realized, even if I do make this story a movie wont be able catch what i want to show to the world. So I started to bleive anime was the answer, because all the power behind it already. Yet... either seems like it could tell this story, but even when i was planning the story i wanted various endings (dvd features, extras) and wanted to know how to incorpate it to a film or show. It just doesnt work, but I believe a game might beable to tell the story of mystery, action, and epic adventure .... on the same graphical base of the best games now ..... Ofcourse there is one major problem, I would have to either create a great game team or spend the rest of my life learning to create a game .... I was considering going to Blizzard or Infogrames to suggest the story and idea, but it seems a little high ..... Can anybody help ... ? [edited by - SSJay on August 16, 2002 6:01:22 PM]
Advertisement
Stories are meant to be told. If you cannot properly tell your story, there must be something wrong with it.
Hmm...I don''t know if your idea, whatever it is, can beat futuristic fishing (see Game Idea thread).
Would it be playable?

A game is meant to be played not watched.

While great storylines are a bonus, not all good storylines would make a good game.
I suggest you simply write a really great novel or series of novels, if you think your story truly is great. While most people that get their books published don''t make a whole lot of money, some do - the people that write really good, popular books actually make a good deal off of royalties.

I seriously doubt that a major game publisher would be interested in creating a game based upon your story - even if it''s good, they probably wouldn''t even read through it unless you were recommended by someone high up, had an agent, or something of the sort.

It just seems to me like you want to do something great with a good story, but you expect publishers of movies/games to read it - they probably wouldn''t, just by policy.

Like I said, you''d probably have the best chance writing a series of novels. You could execute the idea exactly how you wanted, without worrying about the game designers screwing it up (because gameplay will always take precedence over story, and I agree in that area), or it being too condensed to fit in a movie.

Just a suggestion.
---DirectX gives me a headache.
Yes, It would be playable .... Yes, it would be partially furturistic, but not noticable exept certain parts of the game ..... such as the global welfare weapons come into action. Also Yes I do believe it is better then futuristic fishing.... there would be blood, action, adventure, driving, mecha fighting, throwing knives, powers, swords, and fung fu action ..... flying and...... those are just some thing i can think of when it comes to what the main charater can do ..... and will come acrooss.... and what is it bases around, revalations (aka apocolapes), but with a story (little .. verry little like rpg style) both 1st and 3rd person views...
quote:Original post by SSJay
Yes, It would be playable .... Yes, it would be partially furturistic, but not noticable exept certain parts of the game ..... such as the global welfare weapons come into action. Also Yes I do believe it is better then futuristic fishing.... there would be blood, action, adventure, driving, mecha fighting, throwing knives, powers, swords, and fung fu action ..... flying and...... those are just some thing i can think of when it comes to what the main charater can do ..... and will come acrooss.... and what is it bases around, revalations (aka apocolapes), but with a story (little .. verry little like rpg style) both 1st and 3rd person views...

Wow. You need to slow down. What you described to me doesn''t sound like a video game, it sounds like a comic-geek''s wet dream.
Hey,

I was just reading this post and I suppose I could give you a hand if you needed it. I have written a screenplay or two for fun and might be able to offer some advice. I have also written a few games so I might be able to give you some tips on which venue to take. You can email me at SayWhatStudios@aol.com or catch me on AIM, as SayWhatStudios. What is your AIM name or email address. I hope I can be of assistance. I would love to be able to take a look at your story and see if I can help

- Jesse
Thanks
It''ll never work. I mean, I''m sorry to make such a bold prediction, but that''s just too ambitious! I don''t think I''ve ever seen any game in my over a decade of playing computer games, that was able to reach such a level! Maybe if it was separated into different games based on different parts of the story, each in a different genre - but doing that much genre-melding would not only be extremely difficult, but the game would be worse for it.

Why?

Because when you design a game that tries to combine three or more genres, you''re more likely to displease than to please. Stick with me for a moment. There''s a LOT of gamers in this world who hate, say FPS games - there''s a lot that hate RTS games - and there''s a lot that hate RPGs. And there''s even more who wouldn''t want to touch a mecha sim. Each genre has its own audience, and that audience is often exclusive. So if you combine a bunch of genres, there''ll be large parts of the game that people simply hate.

In addition, when you try to combine that much different stuff, EVERYTHING suffers as a result. Sure, you might have an FPS, RPG and mecha sim in one game - but the FPS won''t be as good as Half-Life or Jedi Knight 2, the RPG won''t be as good as Neverwinter Nights, and the Mecha sim won''t be as good as the latest offerring in the Mechwarrior series. In fact, each component would probably fail to reach even half that level; 3 genres, a 3rd of the quality in the execution of each.

Even shunning game design problems, there''s still the logistics of developing such a title. No publisher would want to commit the resources to it. If you did get a developer, it would be a huge struggle to even get the basics of the game done, not to mention try to make it exactly how you want it. In addition, it would take years to develop, and would probably end up with Daikatana syndrome. That is, it would be greatly hyped and sound like an awesome game, but because it was too ambitious, it took way too long to complete, and the final product was outdated by years, and probably buggy as well (because the publisher would be pushing to force it out the door the whole time).

I guess I''m just playing devil''s advocate here, but it just doesn''t sound like you could make such a sprawling story into a game. Besides, what works in a great story usually doesn''t work in a game. In a story there are huge parts without action - just character development. Stories have virtually no repetition, whereas games MUST have repetition. A game will take you through the same type of action sequences throughout the time that the user experiences it; a story must have large amounts of variety, or it becomes boring.
btw... lmao @ global welfare weapons

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement