• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

.x file animations: how?

This topic is 5730 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

can anyone point me in the right direction? im just looking to make simple translate/rotate/scale animations in 3dsmax, and then load the from the .x file. all i know about .x files right now is d3dxloadmeshfromx. anyone know tuts/samples anywhere i can check out? btw the skinnedmesh sample in the sdk is a little too much for me right now thanks! MCLIN

Advertisement
Afternoon, McLin.

The skinnedmesh sample in the sdk is actually the *minimum* required to animated X files.

"... is a little too much for me right now" <- I guess what you mean is the way M$ has hidden what is actually happening. Also, the samples'' code is not very easily expanded.

For learning the basics of loading an animated X file, have a look at Jim Adams tuts in the "Articles" section here at GameDev. After looking at those, you''ll be able to read the skinnedmesh sample with a bit more confidence.

of course, if you only wish to start with the loading and manipulation of a static mesh (i.e. not one with animation frames), then have a look at the M$ "Mesh" sample.

Cheers,
Scronty

- "Has the world gone mad, or am I at work?"

• Advertisement