Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

McLin

.x file animations: how?

can anyone point me in the right direction? im just looking to make simple translate/rotate/scale animations in 3dsmax, and then load the from the .x file. all i know about .x files right now is d3dxloadmeshfromx. anyone know tuts/samples anywhere i can check out? btw the skinnedmesh sample in the sdk is a little too much for me right now thanks! MCLIN

Afternoon, McLin.

The skinnedmesh sample in the sdk is actually the *minimum* required to animated X files.

"... is a little too much for me right now" <- I guess what you mean is the way M$ has hidden what is actually happening. Also, the samples'' code is not very easily expanded.

For learning the basics of loading an animated X file, have a look at Jim Adams tuts in the "Articles" section here at GameDev. After looking at those, you''ll be able to read the skinnedmesh sample with a bit more confidence.

of course, if you only wish to start with the loading and manipulation of a static mesh (i.e. not one with animation frames), then have a look at the M$ "Mesh" sample.

Cheers,
Scronty

- "Has the world gone mad, or am I at work?"