Distribution

Started by
18 comments, last by superpig 21 years, 8 months ago
Yes, if this weren''t a linux distro thread, I would''ve mentioned FreeBSD, which owns.
Advertisement
Debian GNU/Linux for me, if only to learn what the heck is on my system without compiling everything like Slackware.
I just recently got X working, but I now have to figure out why my mouse doesn''t respond. The challenge: Not to restart the computer to get it to work!
B-)
I used to be able to mount shared drives on my Windows 98SE box, but then I moved off campus and for some reason my Debian box was still using my school''s WINS server.
-------------------------GBGames' Blog: An Indie Game Developer's Somewhat Interesting ThoughtsStaff Reviewer for Game Tunnel
Umm, you don''t have to compile everything with slackware. linuxpackages.net makes life nice if you want to find a slackpack for something that doesn''t come with the main distribution. But Debian is still very cool

Also, as for the mouse... What kind is it? PS/2? USB? And getting it to work without restarting the computer isn''t a problem at all. All you have to do is edit the /etc/X11/XF86Config file (I think the name is slightly different on Debian) while in console mode, then once you''ve edited it, type startx, and off you go. If it still doesn''t work, quit X and try again until it does.
I was exaggerating Slackware''s complexity/simplicity B-)
And my mouse is a PS/2 mouse. I apt-get install gpm or whatever it was, and the configuration test for that didn''t respond to my mouse, so I don''t think it is X. I believe it is something else, but I am still new to Linux and such, and I haven''t had much time recently to mess with it, so I can just try to see what google and my resourcefulness comes up with B-)
You are probably right in editing the config file, but I still have to determine what parts to edit.
Thanks!
-------------------------GBGames' Blog: An Indie Game Developer's Somewhat Interesting ThoughtsStaff Reviewer for Game Tunnel
Look for this:

Section "InputDevice"        Identifier  "Mouse0"        Driver      "mouse"        Option      "Protocol" "ImPS/2"        Option      "Device" "/dev/mouse"        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"EndSection 

See where it says "ImPS/2"? That's what you want for any mouse that has a mouse wheel (the ZAxisMapping option is to enable that. If you don't have a wheel, you don't need that line, and you can probably change the protocol to "PS/2").

Also, another possibility for a problem is that the device option may need to be "/dev/psaux" (or something similar) instead of "/dev/mouse". This could be caused by some slight problem during installation or something. /dev/mouse should be simlinked to /dev/psaux anyway.

EDIT: Made the stuff look nicer.

[edited by - CmndrM on August 21, 2002 3:03:26 PM]

[edited by - CmndrM on August 21, 2002 3:05:45 PM]
quote:Original post by superpig
OK, I know this has probably been asked before, but after seeing the ''mac, winpc or linuxpc'' thread, I just have to ask:

Which linux distribution do you use, if any?

BTW: I''m particularly interested in distros which people have running smoothly alongside windows (WinXP, preferably), and sharing a partition... my soon-to-be machine will have XP, but I want to run Linux on it as well, so I want to know which distro to use...

Superpig
- saving pigs from untimely fates
- sleeps in a ham-mock at www.thebinaryrefinery.cjb.net

I use gentoo, mandrake and I have 1 red hat server that I can''t get rid of, even if I want to.

"DaHjajmajQa''jajHeghmeH!"

Cyberdrek
danielc@iquebec.com
Founder
Laval Linux

/(bb|[^b]{2})/ that is the Question -- ThinkGeek.com
Hash Bang Slash bin Slash Bash -- #!/bin/bash
[Cyberdrek | ]
quote:Original post by Martee
I too use Slackware 8.1. Why? Because it''s very clean and unencumbered, and more Unix-like than some distributions. It''s running just fine in a triple boot shared partition setup, alongside Windows 2000 and Windows .NET Server.

Actually, it doesn''t even come close to being Unix-Like, if that''s what you want, get freeBSD.

"DaHjajmajQa''jajHeghmeH!"

Cyberdrek
danielc@iquebec.com
Founder
Laval Linux

/(bb|[^b]{2})/ that is the Question -- ThinkGeek.com
Hash Bang Slash bin Slash Bash -- #!/bin/bash
[Cyberdrek | ]
Er, I said it was more Unix-like than some distributions (Mandrake, anyone?), which it is. And since I use FreeBSD on a regular basis, I do know what ''Unix-like'' is.
ReactOS - an Open-source operating system compatible with Windows NT apps and drivers
slackware''s number one asset is simple:

It will do nothing for you.

of course, to some people that''s bad. whatever. I like control
Actually, Slack has a lot of little scripts and programs that''ll do stuff for you, but you *do* have to take the initiative and actually run them yourself

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement