Distribution

Started by
18 comments, last by superpig 21 years, 8 months ago
OK, I know this has probably been asked before, but after seeing the ''mac, winpc or linuxpc'' thread, I just have to ask: Which linux distribution do you use, if any? BTW: I''m particularly interested in distros which people have running smoothly alongside windows (WinXP, preferably), and sharing a partition... my soon-to-be machine will have XP, but I want to run Linux on it as well, so I want to know which distro to use... Superpig - saving pigs from untimely fates - sleeps in a ham-mock at www.thebinaryrefinery.cjb.net

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Advertisement
I used redhat, i downloaded the ios''s and burned them to a disk. I was able to watch a movie for each disk, only becuase the burner I used was only 4x... gahhkjh. Red hat is easy to use but last time i installed it you had to partition your harddrive, within the installer, you could resize your windows partition and give redhat a couple hundred megs.

I use slackware 8.1. I used to use Redhat7.1 and Mandrake 8.0 but the whole rpm thing kind of turned me off. Almost all distros will detect your windows partition and mount it for you. I can''t say i''ve experienced many problems with that.

I''d run freebsd if the thing supported my pcmcia nic
Hitchhiker90"There's one bitch in the world, one bitch with many faces" -- Jay"What are you people, on dope?" -- Mr. Hand
I too use Slackware 8.1. Why? Because it''s very clean and unencumbered, and more Unix-like than some distributions. It''s running just fine in a triple boot shared partition setup, alongside Windows 2000 and Windows .NET Server.
ReactOS - an Open-source operating system compatible with Windows NT apps and drivers
Currently I''m running WinXP and RedHat 7.3. I just resized my second hard drive to make room for RH and away it went. Partition Magic is the best utility ever. Period. I''ve found it works great. One thing I did though was use the floppy boot only. That way my fiance doesn''t get confused with questions like "What''s a grub and why is it in the computer?"

Always remember, you''''re unique. Just like everyone else.
Always remember, you''re unique. Just like everyone else.Greven
Slack 8.1

I''ve also used (and liked) Debian and SuSE, both of which are very good. The only problem with Debian is that the "stable" version is always a little behind when it comes to software and such, but other than that it''s great.

As for SuSE, it''s really good for both newbies and power users alike.
I''m dual-booting between Gentoo and a custom Linux From Scratch
SuSE + Sorcerer
Might give a try to LFS once they get stable after including
GCC 3.2.
I don''t think gcc 3.x is supposed to be standard (under linux, anyway) until it''s officially deemed "kernel-safe", meaning it can compile the kernel without error. I don''t think it''s too far from that, though.
slackware 8.0/8.1
redhat 7.2/7.3
mandrake 8.0
freebsd 4.5-release - 4.6-stable (oh wait.. linux.. doh)
tomsrtbt (some random version)

I''ve looked at gentoo, and while recompiling the whole OS easily is something I miss in linux from freebsd, gentoo doesn''t doesn''t do it for me. not to mention the obvious "DON''T EMERGE YOUR GENTOO IN FRONT OF ME!" heh

Also looked at LFS, and its just not anything special. Sure, you get to compile everything, but why? and why everything by hand? sheesh

Someday when I get access to huge bandwidth I''m gonna give the freebsd guys a call and see if I can create a linux distribution with their package management tools pretty much verbatim...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement