I'm looking for a free 3D game engine...

Started by
7 comments, last by Ivyn 21 years, 8 months ago
I've just decided that maybe it would be a good idea to get an existing 3D game engine since basically what I like to do most is: Write stories, create graphics, and just design gameplay ideas. The raw aspects of the game engine itself don't excite me to a peak. I will be working on a 2D engine myself for learning experience. I'd prefer to have a DirectX 7 engine but go ahead and mention all the ones you know of. OpenGL support is a plus! I'll state outright that I want the fastest engine I can get my hands on, something that will work well on not-so-top-notch machines. The engine doesn't have to include sourcecode but it has to be freeware and have the following features: - Bones Animation System (Not too much to ask I hope) - Support for 3D file formats (Of course!) - Culling (Has to be fast) - Terrain Support - Particles - Lighting (I hope engines take care of lightmaps) - Fog (Colored Fog) - Alpha Channel Transparency - Billboarding - Shadows Well I didn't mention everything, no I'm not asking for the next Quake III engine (That'd be nice tho!) But something of good quality that I can use to make good quality games. The rest of the features are just things I'd like to have but might be too much to ask from a freeware engine. (Or I can add them myself.) - Selective Cel-Shading - OpenGL + DirectX support - Network Support EDIT1: Oh I forgot to mention! I'm using Delphi as my main programming tool. Most engines I known are programmed in C++ but should work with delphi right? Also, would I have to create my own level editor and file format for maps? -- Ivyn -- [edited by - Ivyn on August 16, 2002 8:40:48 PM]
-- Ivyn --
Advertisement
[sarcasim] you don''t ask for much...[/sarcasim]

once I tryed the Orge engine, but desided to make my own 3d engine, mutch easyer! you can make everything you have stated with a few classes if you want to look at mine 3dengine(only to get you started...) just eamil me... baloogan@fuckmicrosoft.com
If you were MEANT to understand it, we wouldn't have called it 'code'
hmm, don''t know anything about Delphi, but I doubt that you can just use a C++ source with it...
---DirectX gives me a headache.
aero, i think he can use the .obj or lib files compiled wiht an engine. include those and then he can. not sure htough.
Ofcourse he can link in obj-files into the project.
But uhm, i wouldn''t really go for making a 3d-game in Delphi...
I wouldn''t make ANY game requiring any kind of management in Delphi!!

--
MFC is sorta like the swedish police... It''''s full of crap, and nothing can communicate with anything else.
Try this http://www.truevision3dsdk.com , it includes all of your requests on your spec. list and also has a Delphi wrapper, although it only supports Delphi6 because of the com implications. It is still in beta but the current version is an RC(Release Candidate) It is free for non-commercial use and a commercial liscense is only $149.00 It does have a logo that stays on your screen, which sucks, but it has a thriving community and should work for all but the most difficult projects.

Best of Luck

Dreddnafious Maelstrom

"If i saw farther, it was because I stood on the shoulders of giants."

Sir Isaac Newton

[edited by - Dreddnafious Maelstrom on August 17, 2002 12:11:06 PM]
"Let Us Now Try Liberty"-- Frederick Bastiat
how about something like www.genesis3d.com
crystal space
I would second Genesis3D. I use it a lot.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement