Creating Worlds, Maps and so on...

Started by
3 comments, last by Andre Luiz Silva 21 years, 8 months ago
Hello everybody, I would like to know 2 things: 1) which program do you use to create your 3D maps 2) which model do you use on your games and demos. I want to create a basic scene (maybe some walls, windows, etc.). I could do it on a txt file, but I would like to see some other alternatives... Thanks. "- To begin with, said the Cat, a dog''s not mad. You grant that? - I suppose so, said Alice. - Well, then, - the Cat went on - you see, a dog growls when it''s angry, and wags its tail when it''s pleased. Now I growl when I''m pleased, and wag my tail when I''m angry. Therefore I''m mad."
"- To begin with, said the Cat, a dog's not mad. You grant that? - I suppose so, said Alice. - Well, then, - the Cat went on - you see, a dog growls when it's angry, and wags its tail when it's pleased. Now I growl when I'm pleased, and wag my tail when I'm angry. Therefore I'm mad."
Advertisement
most people use Quake3''s bsp format for maps and MD3 for models.
There are some Tutorials (on www.gametutorials.com) for these formats so it''s very easy to use them.
The advantage is, that you can use the Q3Radiant Level editor.

I use a self created model and map format, because I have features in my engine, that can''t fit into any other "useful" existing format.

Well, writing a Editor for your own format is not easy, so many people use milkshape3d,3d studio max to create their models and convert them into their own format (like I do with my modelformat).

If you start programming, use some simple, well documented formats like md3 / bsp.

If you are experianced make your own format and editor
I hope this helps,
StryX
Anything that requires finding convex hulls in realtime isstarting to sound like a bad idea. -- John Carmack
In an earlier project I ran into the same problem (where to get my world data). I ended up using Q3Radiant (great editor, btw) and I just wrote my general converter to convert a compiled BSP to my format. Anyway, that approach works very well: the BSP format is not hard at all to parse. It''s just a big collection of struct''s that you can read into your program at runtime.
I´ve downloaded it and it seems to be very easy to use it. Do you know any tutorials about it?

Thanks a lot for your replies...

"- To begin with, said the Cat, a dog''s not mad. You grant that?
- I suppose so, said Alice.
- Well, then, - the Cat went on - you see, a dog growls when it''s angry, and wags its tail when it''s pleased. Now I growl when I''m pleased, and wag my tail when I''m angry. Therefore I''m mad."
"- To begin with, said the Cat, a dog's not mad. You grant that? - I suppose so, said Alice. - Well, then, - the Cat went on - you see, a dog growls when it's angry, and wags its tail when it's pleased. Now I growl when I'm pleased, and wag my tail when I'm angry. Therefore I'm mad."
To make it look realy good you could combine a high lod terrain with bsp!!
It does look good when you make it work! hehe

- -- ---[XaOs]--- -- -

[ Project fy ||| CyberTux ]

- -- ---[XaOs]--- -- -[ Project fy ||| CyberTux ]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement