Giving back to NeHe

Started by
6 comments, last by Greven 21 years, 8 months ago
This is completely unrelated to programming but I thought I''d mention it anyway. A while back on his site I remember reading that he still doesn''t have much of a video card in his computer. And that he really doesn''t have the money to buy one (please correct me if I mispoke). I believe it all came up back with the prize argument that started with the LOTR contest... What I''m wondering is, can we all contribute a dollar or two to a "Buy NeHe a Better Video Card Fund"? It sounds weird, but I really think we need to help the guy out I''ve bought the CD, and dontated what money I could because the guy goes so far above and beyond that he just rocks. Period. Is this something we can do? Or do you, NeHe even want this? I personally would love to start something like this. Just to really say thank you. PS - Please don''t flame this. It was said sincerely and I''d like to have it remain that way if it could... Always remember, you''''re unique. Just like everyone else.
Always remember, you''re unique. Just like everyone else.Greven
Advertisement
Hmm, I have an idea, but I don''t know if we can do this.

What about joining other site-contests, win the 1st price and give the price to NeHe ?

NeHe can use it or sell it

Well, as you know the last "NeHeTeamEntry" idea failed.
I think, the problem was of people don''t knowing each other.
That''s fixable.
Another problem are the contests.
We need 1 contest, everybody want''s to join.
We need good ideas, and a good team.
All must be a framework, where everybody working on it, can code his piece and put it into the framework, without changing other code.

If we have a system like this, we can do that.
I would be in, if anybody else want''s to do the same.

1st we should find a team.
2nd we should do some non.entry projects to learn the other''s coding styles,...
3rd we should choose a contest and get an idea.
4th we should code
5th we should win
6th we should donate the price to NeHe.

Sorry ''bout my way BAD english, but I''m Austrian

Please write here If you want to join.
I don''t want to be the ''leader''.
That''s just my idea.
Anything that requires finding convex hulls in realtime isstarting to sound like a bad idea. -- John Carmack
I think NeHe was talking about the video card as a prize for the contest...
____________________________________MSN | AIM | YIM | ICQ
OK, NeHe... ''fess up. This whole thread is a plant, right?
quote:Original post by daher
I think NeHe was talking about the video card as a prize for the contest...

No, he got into talking about what his video card was. And that the card that was going to be given away was so much better. I believe he''s still on a TNT2 (I think).

Always remember, you''''re unique. Just like everyone else.
He''s giving away a VisionTek Xtasy GeForce 4 Ti 4600 for the LOTR2002 contest so I think he has enough money to buy himself one.
quote:Original post by Scet
He''s giving away a VisionTek Xtasy GeForce 4 Ti 4600 for the LOTR2002 contest so I think he has enough money to buy himself one.

Yeah, umm.. Check into that because your wrong. He''s said many many times he makes nothing off his site. That includes his contests. He buys the prizes from the money he gets from donations. He doesn''t take the money for himself. He gives it back. That''s why I want to do this.

I direct you to this thread, and this thread. The main LOTR thread that had most of the info was deleted a short while ago for some reason... But still. It''s true. He doesn''t have a lot of money due to other circumstances, and he doesn''t get money from his site.
My point is this. Right now a GeForce4 Ti 4400 is going for about $190. If 190 people donate $1 we can get it for him. If 95 people donate $2 we can get it for him. If 64 people donate $3 we can get it for him... Or going all out, if a measly 38 people donate $5 we can get it for him. I''m saying with the number of people that are using his site at any given moment, surely there are 38 of them willing to donate $5 to him... It''s not asking that much. I''m currently unemployed due to a layoff and I''m willing to donate $10 or $20 just because. I''ve already bought the CD and donated through his site. But I want to do more.

Always remember, you''''re unique. Just like everyone else.
quote:Original post by Greven
No, he got into talking about what his video card was. And that the card that was going to be given away was so much better. I believe he's still on a TNT2 (I think).

Always remember, you're unique. Just like everyone else.

If I remmember right, I think he's got a geforce 2 or something not a TNT2 at all... and that threads was before two years. I would think he got better cards since then.

Edit: spelling

[edited by - daher on August 20, 2002 8:02:30 AM]
____________________________________MSN | AIM | YIM | ICQ

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement