Win32 Experts: Would this work well?

Started by
5 comments, last by Brobanx 21 years, 8 months ago
For my game I''m writing (It''s a simple, but fast-paced puzzle game, must run on all Win95 or higher systems) I''m debating the way in which I should be updating the screen. Since I need a message loop to handle all the windows messages anyway, the thought came across me: Why not use and send my own messages to my WinProc as well, to update the screen? (By using the user-defined WM_APP messages to tell me when (and where) I need to draw something. Considering these will most likely be sent about 30 times per second (on each screen update), is it a good idea to be (ab)using the windows message pump like this?
Advertisement
Why?

[twitter]warrenm[/twitter]

No.

Former Microsoft XNA and Xbox MVP | Check out my blog for random ramblings on game development

For a game like that you can probably get away using GDI and WM_PAINT and friends.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
quote:Original post by Machaira
No.

I agree. Really, really bad idea.

Use double buffering, and PeekMessage. If there''s no message, render the frame. Else process the message.
daerid@gmail.com
daerid: The way you suggest processes at most one message per loop, which can cause latency in the message processing pipeline.

Later,
ZE.

//email me.//zealouselixir software.//msdn.//n00biez.//
miscellaneous links

[twitter]warrenm[/twitter]

The way you describe would work, however, if you know before hand, where and when you want to render a frame, why not just call your screen update function there instead of sending a message to the window procedure?

Freeware development:
http://www.ruinedsoft.com/
___________________________Freeware development:ruinedsoft.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement