Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Could someone enlighting me re scripting langauge

This topic is 5601 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

What exactly does scripting do.. Could someone please spare me an example of how I would use scripting and are there any good public license scripting engines out there for 3d game development? I apologize for the noob questions but I really dont have a solid grasp of what scripting entails and I''m tryin gto help reseach some stuff on it. Thank you everyone for your time on this. Mark M.

Imagine a game where each and every character required unqiue AI to react. Or a game where you can turn an electric switch on to turn on a fan 3 floors above, which would be one of hundreds of tasks that could be performed. Using scripts can make things like this pretty simple after you get the engine set up. I always use linked lists for my scripts. There are 3 node types. Events, Conditions, and Actions. Just put a true and false link in the node, and maybe some arguments, and have the actions invoke functions. Events would be nothing more than a pointer showing where to start running through the list. Of course something like this requires making an editor, which is not too much fun.

Jiia

Why not do a search on Google for "scripting languages"? That should give you a heap of links for your research. Also look up Python and Lua for 2 of the more popular scripting languages today used in game development. And look up java-script and VBScript while you''re at it.

Scripting in the context of computer programming is generally thought of as ''simple programming'', and tends to be at a higher and more abstract level than the ''real'' programming. You use it when you don''t want to have to recompile the program just to make a simple change, or when you want non programmers to be able to modify the system, or even when you just want a simpler and less error-prone language available for developing your game logic.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost | Asking Questions | Organising code files | My stuff ]