STL Overhead

Started by
7 comments, last by Greg K 21 years, 8 months ago
How much overhead does a STL stack have? Is it a bad idea to use them alot? For instance I could either have a void*, allocate mem for my object, and then insert the data. Or I could use a stack for this particular problem. I would have a very large number of these objects all at one time (possibly hundreds) so is it a bad idea to use STL stacks or is there hardly any overhead? -Greg Koreman
Advertisement
the STL offers extremely high performance with minimal overhead. Plus, it''s standard. So it''s portable.

bottom line: use it. you won''t be sorry.
daerid@gmail.com
quote:Original post by Greg K
How much overhead does a STL stack have?

Compared to what? An STL stack contains no more cruft than a very well-designed non-STL stack.
The STL is incredibly fast.

But you should always implement your own allocators, especially if you work with MSVC++ where heap allocation takes way too much time.
Yup yup.

You should waste your time writing new allocators without determining if they''re bottlenecking you, because that''s a great way to spend your time.

@_@.
char a[99999],*p=a;int main(int c,char**V){char*v=c>0?1[V]:(char*)V;if(c>=0)for(;*v&&93!=*v;){62==*v&&++p||60==*v&&--p||43==*v&&++*p||45==*v&&--*p||44==*v&&(*p=getchar())||46==*v&&putchar(*p)||91==*v&&(*p&&main(0,(char**)(--v+2))||(v=(char*)main(-1,(char**)++v)-1));++v;}else for(c=1;c;c+=(91==*v)-(93==*v),++v);return(int)v;}  /*** drpizza@battleaxe.net ***/
quote:Original post by DrPizza
Yup yup.

You should waste your time writing new allocators without determining if they''re bottlenecking you, because that''s a great way to spend your time.

@_@.

LOL

Premature Optimization is the Dark Side of programming. Always a strong temptation, but never worth it.
daerid@gmail.com
quote:Original post by DrPizza
Yup yup.

@_@.

I''ll point out that when STL pops off an objet, it doesn''t release that memory, it is returned to a pool for STL to use later.

Just make sure that you aren''t allocating/deallocating on the heap while runtime performance is critical.

It really depends on the type of container used in the stack

By default, it''s a std::deque, which actually shrinks when you pop objects off the top.
daerid@gmail.com
quote:Original post by daerid
By default, it''s a std::deque, which actually shrinks when you pop objects off the top.

No it doesn''t. deques are normally implemented by a vector of pointers to blocks of objects (notionally, at least).

As you fill the deque, it fills up a block, and adds new blocks only as necessary.

If you take an item from the deque, there''s no shrinking until and unless you empty an entire block; even then, I suspect the shrinkage would be up to the implementation to perform.
char a[99999],*p=a;int main(int c,char**V){char*v=c>0?1[V]:(char*)V;if(c>=0)for(;*v&&93!=*v;){62==*v&&++p||60==*v&&--p||43==*v&&++*p||45==*v&&--*p||44==*v&&(*p=getchar())||46==*v&&putchar(*p)||91==*v&&(*p&&main(0,(char**)(--v+2))||(v=(char*)main(-1,(char**)++v)-1));++v;}else for(c=1;c;c+=(91==*v)-(93==*v),++v);return(int)v;}  /*** drpizza@battleaxe.net ***/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement