Could use some input on helicopter game

Started by
3 comments, last by Zefrieg 21 years, 8 months ago
Well, Im going to make a 2d game similar to Choplifter. Im not sure how many people have played it, but it is a game where you fly a helicopter and rescue POWs. The third and final installment of the game back in 1993 featured jungle, desert, ocean, and city settings. You would fly around and kill soldiers who fought on the ground with various weapons or parachuted in from the top of the sky. Other vehicles included tanks, soldier transports, jeeps, battleships, pontoon boats, and enemy helicopters. The enemies would spawn back after being destroyed after you went out of view of their spawn point. Anyway, I figured I would get some people's opinions on the best to improve upon the game. I would like to add in some interesting things for the player to do besides just rescue POWs. I am split between using the original side view of the game or switching to a top down view. Input based on either of the two views would be fine. Feel free to post any ideas you might have pertaining to any aspect of the game. [edited by - Zefrieg on August 17, 2002 5:48:38 AM]
Advertisement
i think that either view would work fine - i would worry more about making interesting gameplay. i would not buy a 2d game if it was just a rehash with boring graphics...

so i would make it as interesting as you can within the limits.

i guess, if i had to pick, i would rather play a side view game because im kinda sick of the top view ones...

anyways, just a suggestion.

-geo-
Heh, I''m just doing this as a way to build a portfolio. Im going to make a 2d action game, a 2d isometric strategy game, and then I will make a 3d multiplayer space shooter (something simple). I think this would give me a well-rounded portfolio to use when showing my work to game companies. I have about 3 1/2 years to finish all of these and I think that is enough time. I''m a programmer, but I can do 3d modeling and 2d art too. These games will not be overly complex, but will be good enough to put in a portfolio.
I remember Choplifter from 1983.
Instead of rescuing POWs, how about the chopper being used to insert a squad. While the squad goes about its mission, the chopper provides close air support. Once the grunts complete their mission, you pick ''em up and head back to base.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement