Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ribbon trails and ripples

This topic is 5598 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Not sure whether this should be here or in the graphics forum, but what the hey.. Anyone seen the movie "The Shadow"? Not the best of films but after seeing that (bbc1 a week or so ago) and the pics in Edge of the latest Shinobi game i started wondering about how to do a ribbon trail similar for my game. A few days of work later and i''ve got a ribbon made from multiple strands. Each strand is formed from a linked list of CloakSegments, which are points that fall slowly, and are dragged forward depending on their length and the position of the previous point. All nice and smooth, but when the main anchor point/head is moved in a straight line the ribbon will also eventually just become straight, and the falling is a tad static at the moment. I''d like to add some kind of random rippling to show a slight wind or something similar. But i''m at a loss as to how this might be best done to get the best effects and preferably avoiding heavy maths. Anyone any suggestions? Code can be found here to work on this.

No suggestions? Bah, you all suck Let me change the question then: full per-particle simulation perhaps, or just messing around with the anchor coord to try and get ripples?

Hmm, thinking about this....If you go with the chain of segments approach, you could add a momentum factor to each segment join. Then use this momentum to send exponentially decreasing in power ''tugs'' on neighbouring segments. Using some form of linked list it would be easy to send little pull and push commands up and down the chain. You could then make it so each pull/push on each segment not only moves the segment a little but also alters that segments momentum a little. Inevitably, if the ribbon goes straight for a long time it will be straight, but the momentum factor should reduce how noticeable it is on small straight sections.

Momentum per point? now theres an interesting approach i should of thought of already.. I can see the whole thing getting unstable if the momentum passed up/down the list isnt reduced enough but its definatly worth trying...