Making a Dialog appear..

Started by
6 comments, last by pandabear114 21 years, 8 months ago
So I made this dialog in vc++ with the editor. How do I make it appear somewhere? hehe And where do I define what the buttons do?
Advertisement
Wow, it seems you need to learn all the MFC basis !!

Take a look at this site it will help you a lot :

http://www.codeguru.com/dialog/index.shtml

Bruno Wieckowski
Lead Programmer
Exood4 Studios

[edited by - brunow on August 17, 2002 1:24:30 PM]
I heard MFC was the devil and you shouldn''t go near it...
Is there a way to do it without learning MFC?
I don''t know who told you such a silly thing !! But all I can say is that you will avoid a lot of useless work, you could have to do without MFC !

Building dialogs/menu/icons... using the VC++ resources editor is usually (if not always) done for MFC developments !

Try it and make your own opinion about MFC, I''m not sure the guy who adviced you, has really tried anything with them...

Bruno Wieckowski
Lead Programmer
Exood4 Studios
If you want to do it without MFC, go here:

http://winprog.org/tutorial/
Well im trying to make a game actually,
I already have an OpenGL window I am working with but I wanted another little window on the side that would have buttons like New Game / Save Game / etc
Rather than trying to do all the coding for that in the OpenGL window.

It was easy to do that with VB before but would it be easier to do it a different way in this case?
In WIN32 API (which I presume you''re using). To make a dialogue appear, you need to add your menu item to the procedure.
IE:

case WM_COMMAND:  switch(LOWORD(wParam))  {    case ID_GAME_LOAD: //Or whatever the ID for the menu item is      int aboutint = DialogBox(GetModuleHandle(NULL),       MAKEINTRESOURCE(THE_DIALOG_YOU_WANT), hwnd, X);    break;    // Other menu commands...  }break;  

Then you need a dialogue procedure matching X above.(change X for the name of the procedure)

IE:

BOOL CALLBACK X(HWND hwnd, UINT message, WPARAM wparam, LPARAM lparam){  switch(message)  {    case WM_INITDIALOG:    return true;    case WM_COMMAND:      switch(LOWORD(wparam))      {        //THE BUTTONS/OTHER DEVICES IN YOUR DIALOGUE''S ACTIONS      }      break;    default:      return false;  }  return true;}  

If you don''t know the WINAPI this is very confusing to you. I don''t know OPEN-GL so I don''t have a clue how it operates but this is how its done in the WINAPI.

And the Dark Lord shall DESTROY Middle Earth

But Ilthigore will save you

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Ilthigore<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
hrmm
I am trying to get the dialog box i made to pop up as one window, and the NeHe OpenGL window to pop up next to it

I am trying to use win32 api but the window handles are already used by the gl window
so I tried making new window handles and a new class and everything to try to get the dialog to be seperate but its getting all crazy

ive probably stopped making sense but lets just say if anyone can give me some example code where it will pop up one window using a dialog and the nehegl window next to it, that would be great

or even have the dialog window appear and then pressing a button on it would close it and make the gl window appear

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement