Help with some ideas for my coursework please :(

Started by
7 comments, last by Kyo 21 years, 8 months ago
It''s near the end of summer and I still haven''t decided what I''m going to do for my main computing coursework next year. We have a whole year to do it in and it can be anything as long as it''s for a real end user and is tailored for their needs, so no games.. Examples are database software for a local shop or a program for a video store... Any language can be used preferably VB and maths, simulations, computer aided designs, or graphical programs can be done but have to meet the requirements and is not recommended.. So I have no idea what to do i don''t want to do some boring filing system for a video store and I''d like to do something with OpenGL if possible but nothing too complex like a 3D modelling package.. Any ideas?
Advertisement
I'd:

1) Visit local council(shire whatever). Obtain regional topo data somehow Even if it's from a different part of the city, whatever. Pick somewhere with a rich terrain

2) Create OpenGL landscape of area.

3) Obtain local tourist information, such as historic sites, lookouts, parks etc. Include these in your renderer.

In general propose a low tech tourist information kiosk type application.

Some thoughts:

-Alpha blend colours for regions, such as parks etc.
-Perhaps extend it to show residential, Industrial zoning etc.
-Overlay streetmap for extra credits (This might be quite hard)
-Cycle safe zones.
-All data driven so you can load data sets for other regions.
-Web accessable for extra credits. Imagine that the local council could run it off their website.

Go to vterrain.org for more information on this kind of stuff.

This really could be as easy \ hard as you want to make it and you could go with either the idea of using it for Kiosk type info or for council use and do stuff like zoning, garbage collection zones, new development area's etc.

I'd hate to do a video store app too. My first 'business' app was an ATM simulator, enter PIN number, collect card number, credit \ savings account, balance \deposit \etc, etc.. ICK! In cobol ICK! About 6 years ago... In general if you love game's coding use this as an opportunity to learn one part of it very well. As a non graphics idea consider perhaps a networked distributed processing framework and use it to compile your apps across different machines.

HTH

Chris
(Who is now kind of interested in this kind of app :> )

[edited by - gimp on August 17, 2002 9:13:00 PM]
Chris Brodie
For my A-Level project I made a database driven game development website, it took me fricking ages.
I kinda like the Kiosk idea.

My Sr. Project was a ticket search system for my College''s (US)Football Stadium.

You''''ve never seen anyone like me, and you''''ll never see anyone like me again!
You''ve never seen anyone like me, and you''ll never see anyone like me again!
hmm thanks that gave me a great idea.. At the moment i'm not sure if i'll be able to learn everything i need to in time to do that terrain thing for tourism/city planning etc... So i might go to an estate agent ask if they need a program to keep a database of houses which they could annotate/update and maintain for their needs and keep photos of the houses, market tendencies and maybe even predict prices, and graphs for price drops and rise.

And alongside that i'll continue to learn OpenGL and if possible include a 3D terrain of the local area so house locations can be pin pointed in full 3D so a prospective buyer can immediately see (maybe colour coded) where the house is, next to shops, main roads, schools etc..

The problem is for my last coursework I did a really good program in VB and everyone said it was like the best in the class and everything the teacher was impressed etc... But the coursework was exam based and i must've messed up badly on that cause i got a 26/90 overall. What I don't get is the program is out of 25 so I must've got at least 20/25 i mean i have more programming experience then everyone else in the class and everyone was amazed at the program i'm not trying to show off i'm just saying how shocked i am at the result, even if i failed the exam completely (which asks questions about your program and write-up documentation) which was worth 65 points i couldn't have got only 5 or 10 out of 65 questions right!

AAAARGGHHHHH

[edited by - Kyo on August 18, 2002 1:39:02 PM]
Your program might have been good but did it fit the A-Level criteria for coursework?
What exactly does A-level mean? I''ve heard it several times in these forums, but I haven''t been able to figure it out yet.
A - Level is a 2yr qualification in the uk normally done at the age of 16-18. it is what you do before going to university
quote:Original post by Crazy_Vasey
Your program might have been good but did it fit the A-Level criteria for coursework?

Yes as sure as I asked a teacher to have a look through see if i needed to add anything and (even though she''s really a maths teacher and knows as much VB as you could learn in a week from a book) she thought it was fine.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement