Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nacho

Opening Files: very weird error.

Hi! I have modified the function included in TOTWGPG to load bitmap files and today I discovered a very weird erro while I was using this function in my app. Here´s the section that´s giving me a headache: int LoadBitmapFile(BITMAP_FILE_PTR Bitmap,char *lpFileName,DDPIXELFORMAT &ddPixel) { int iFileHandle, iCounter; UCHAR *lpTempBuffer = NULL; OFSTRUCT FileData; memset(&FileData,0,sizeof(OFSTRUCT)); if(-1==(iFileHandle = OpenFile(lpFileName,&FileData,OF_READ))) { DWORD d = GetLastError(); return BMP_FAILED; } // More code. } // End LoadBitmapFile(). One function call might look like this: LoadBitmapFile(&Bitmap,"cdabc.bmp",ddPixel); The weird thing is that if I write for the name "cdab.bmp" (assuming there´s such a BMP, of course), the iFileHandle var inside LoadBitmapFile gets a proper value (different from -1). But if I pass "cdabc.bmp" (or "bitmap24.bmp", a longer name), iFileHandle gets the value -1. GetLastError() returned the error code 111 which, according to MSDN, is 111 The file name is too long. ERROR_BUFFER_OVERFLOW Does somebody have a clue of what´s going on in here? If you need more pieces of the code just ask me. Thanks in advance!!

quote:
Original post by goldsword
Try sticking with dos 8.3 format.

The book has examples with files with more characters than 8.

quote:
Original post by goldsword
Or write a new bmp loader.

I don´t want to write another one, I´d like to know what´s going on here.

Anybody can help me? Thanks!

It seems like every day 10 people have trouble with the code in this book. I wouldn''t trust it too much. You might want to look into CreateFile, fopen, or fstream to open the file. Maybe they''ll solve the problem.

Helpful links:
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way | Google can help with your question | Search MSDN for help with standard C or Windows functions

No, I think the code is really trustable. I´m pretty sure it´s me who´s making a silly mistake. Anyway, I´ll try to make it work in another way. Is it possible that some other function in the program is causing this problem? Thanks!

From MSDN: "The OFSTRUCT structure contains a pathname string member whose length is limited to OFS_MAXPATHNAME characters. OFS_MAXPATHNAME is currently defined to be 128. Because of this, you cannot use the OpenFile function to open a file whose path length exceeds 128 characters. The CreateFile function does not have such a path length limitation."

quote:
Original post by dalleboy
From MSDN: "The OFSTRUCT structure contains a pathname string member whose length is limited to OFS_MAXPATHNAME characters. OFS_MAXPATHNAME is currently defined to be 128. Because of this, you cannot use the OpenFile function to open a file whose path length exceeds 128 characters. The CreateFile function does not have such a path length limitation."

I don´t think "cdabc.bmp" exceeds 128 characters. The problem must be somewhere else.

I can't tell you why it's not working, but I can tell you to switch over to CreateFile. MSDN says OpenFile is there to support 16-bit versions of Windows, which not a lot of people use anymore

[edited by - Zipster on August 19, 2002 3:58:27 AM]

quote:
Original post by Ignacio Liverotti
I don''t think "cdabc.bmp" exceeds 128 characters. The problem must be somewhere else.

Read my post again, MSDN said: "you cannot use the OpenFile function to open a file whose path length exceeds 128 characters". And with path I think they mean the full path to the file including the drive, subdirectories and the file itself.

Thanks for your posts! I´ll rewrite the function using CreateFile.

dalleboy: I think my path exceeded the 128 characters, because it is c:\archivos de programa\microsoft visual studio\... a lot more. When I read your first post I tought you referred to the file´s name.

Thanks for your answers again! During my next section (I have a dialup connection) I´ll tell you if CreateFile did the trick.

Ok, I tried to rewrite the function using the Win32 File I/O functions, but there´s a little tiny thing I don´t understand about one of them: ReadFile(). Its 4th parameter:

LPDWORD lpNumberOfBytesRead, // pointer to number of bytes read

MSDN says:

lpNumberOfBytesRead
Pointer to the number of bytes read. ReadFile sets this value to zero before doing any work or error checking. If this parameter is zero when ReadFile returns TRUE on a named pipe, the other end of the message-mode pipe called the WriteFile function with nNumberOfBytesToWrite set to zero.
Windows 95 and Windows 98: This parameter cannot be NULL.

I read the explanation many times but I´m not sure about what to pass in this parameter. Can you help me with this one? Thanks a lot!

quote:
Original post by Martee
DWORD numBytesRead;

ReadFile(...... &numBytesRead .....);

Do I have to use that pointer later? Is it useful?

Well in Windows 95 & 98 you need to pass a dummy variable. Regardless of whether you use it or not, a variable must be passed on those Windows versions. It could be useful later when debugging your code however.

Guest Anonymous Poster
You pass a reference to a DWORD and the function stores the number of actual number of bytes read into your buffer. So a check on the function working correctly might look something like this

int iOK = ReadFile(filehandle, p_byBuffer, sizeof(structuretoread), &dwRead, 0);

if (!ok || dwRead != sizeof(structuretoread) )
//error handling code here.

Hope this helps fatty
Aface