fruityloops

Started by
12 comments, last by Muzlack 21 years, 8 months ago
Ok, I got fruityloops, is there a way to actually write music like you compose in cakewalk, either a full piano roll where its not all in 16th notes and you are actually composing or even better sheet music editing?
--Muzlack
Advertisement
Ok, I got that to work, but when a note gets high it sounds really bad with all their instruments, as a matter of fact all of their instruments sound bad, is there a good piano instrument to use?
--Muzlack
Fruity Loops is not a composer''s tool, it''s more for fooling around, to be honest with you. A lot of people give it way more credit than it deserves. If you really want to compose, a midi-based format or one that gives you similar control is your best bet. Fruity Loops and the like are programs for people who like to say they compose when they really don''t.

--------------------
Matthew Calabrese
Realtime 3D Orchestra:
Programmer, Composer,
and 3D Artist/Animator
"I can see the music..."
Well, what would you suggest? I personally don''t like the "sound" of midi, it just sounds fake to me, and I cant figure out how to get cakewalk or dmusicproducer to export to wav or mp3, so is there a good composing program besides those you suggest? Sean Kiley who is writing the music for my game suggested musicator (which he uses) but its like 300 bucks, and I downloaded the demo and it froze on my computer, so I don''t think that that one will work for me either.
--Muzlack
If you don''t like the fake sound of midi then play the instruments yourself.

Or just get a good synthesizer or sound font.

"There are only three types of people in this world: those who can count, and those who can''t."

Just3D
Justin Nordin
J Squared Productions
www.jsquaredproductions.com
"There are only three types of people in this world: those who can count, and those who can't."Just3DJustin NordinJ Squared Productionswww.jsquaredproductions.com
quote:Original post by Muzlack
Well, what would you suggest? I personally don''t like the "sound" of midi, it just sounds fake to me,

There''s this great (maybe outdated?), software synthesizer from Yamaha called S-YXG50 that allows you to expand your GM synth to incorporate the XG subsets, giving you a lot more instruments while probably upgrading the original presets as well. The sound quality was decent enough for games such as Final Fantasy VII (for PC), which I believe used XG midi. The only setback is that you might need a separate sound card for recording, but I could be wrong about this.

Check out the link at the bottom of this site to download the 90 day trial. I used it for a while before finally getting an sw1000xg. It looks like they now have other software synths available too.

quote:Original post by Muzlack
and I cant figure out how to get cakewalk or dmusicproducer to export to wav or mp3,

I use Cakewalk, and all I do to record is open up a recording program and hit "record". The inputs seem to differ from person to person, but play around with the settings and you should get it recording from the midi out. Then just use another program to compress the wav as mp3. I use Creative Labs'' Wavestudio and Soundforge for all my recording and compressing needs.
oh yeah, that sounds really great. My music actually sounds real now. I like how all their instruments sound except the piano, and I can deal with that. : )
--Muzlack
Frankly I think you''re missing the point of fruityloops. I consider fruityloops more of a soft sampler than a composition tool. Basically you can take any sample you like and dump into a loop and twist the hell out of it! Usually what I''ll do is write a riff and record it, then if I have any samples in mind or odd noises to add I''ll dump it into fruityloops and go crazy on the filters and samples.

DRINK GIN! IT MAKES A MAN MEAN-milk and cheese
"Fruity Loops is not a composer''s tool, it''s more for fooling around, to be honest with you. A lot of people give it way more credit than it deserves. If you really want to compose, a midi-based format or one that gives you similar control is your best bet. Fruity Loops and the like are programs for people who like to say they compose when they really don''t. "

If you really believe that those programs are for non-composers, and if you believe that you are a "true" composer, none of this should bother you. Based on your repeated and meticulous replies to these types of posts, I''d have to say that you must have some sort of fear of these types of tools. I admittedly don''t like fruity-loops, I''d rather write and record everything myself as much as possible but I still use sequencers and trackers on occasion when needed. I think that these tools have their place in the learning curve. I started out on ModEdit. In time, software far more "powerful" than this is going to emerge. I think that only by fairly evaluating these tools and learning to incorporate it''s advantages are you going to be able to be successful in future endeavors.

-Chris
-Chris
I really like the idea of mod, if I want to sequence a song with farts and toilet flushes all I have to do is import the samples! The only place that midi has one up on it is that you have complete compositional control. Where as with mod trackers you have complete control of the sound quality of each instruments.

Besides sometimes working within strict limitations can create some very interesting results!

[edited by - Drakar on August 19, 2002 1:13:54 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement