Creating Level Editors

Started by
11 comments, last by Laroche 21 years, 8 months ago
You can also mix DirectX with MFC, if you have that, or code your window by hand. You can set up a major editor in hours with MFC.

You would also need to learn how to use DirectX in windowed mode. It''s not too bad. You basically just don''t set the display mode, and need to load in your graphics by figuring out the current display''s pixel formats. There are tutorials here for both of those tasks. Oh yeah, you also need to capture windows messages for handling your mouse positions, and using GetClientRect or whatnot.

Once you get those things out of the way, most of your existing engine should still work.

Jiia

Advertisement
Thanks for all the replies, I''m well on the path of making one now should be basically done in about a week, but just with simple features like loading tilesets, layers, easy point-click-paint interface, saving and loading maps. It''s actually almost done now, but I hate having globals so I''m re-designing it so its a little more eye-friendly for me.
Check out my music at: http://zed.cbc.ca/go.ZeD?user_id=41947&user=Laroche&page=content
What about 3D level editors ? Is it worth making one ?

I''m thinking of one where I could define
- npc path
- camera path
- positions for particle system emitter
- naming some of the positions on the 3D map

I thought of modelling using one of the available modelling packages, and then integrate them through the level editor where I put in the features mentioned above. Then headaches will arrive when compiling the level.

lahuze

- there is no difference between reality and fantasy -
lahuze
~i was, i am, i will be..~

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement