Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

redcliffe

T&L, etc

I''m currently designing the graphics engine for my game, and am looking for some documentation somewhere that explains clearly what all the current hardware functions like T&L, vertex shading, etc, do, what cards the various functions are available on. Anyone know of a good article somewhere like this? I''ve tried Nvidia''s site and haven''t found much other than their marketing speak. Thanks, David

quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
developer.nvidia.com

I''ve been there, but all I can find is marketing information about the latest cards. I want a summary of what''s on each card, and not just Nvidia, and how to use it in OpenGL. Thanks,

David

Nvidia''s developer site has A LOT more than marketing stuff, it''s a really good resource. ATI also has a very good developer site. Considering the only cards out there are either ATI or Nvidia (well, Parhelia, but...) those two sites will answer all your questions. Nvidia and ATI use different OpenGL extensions for vertex shaders, currently making vertex shader programming a bitch in OpenGL and not very portable, you have to write different vertex shader code for each card you have to support plus software routine for non programmable cards. Hopefully a lot of this will be alleviated with OpenGL 1.4 and OpenGL 2.0.