Game Programming Starter Kit 3.0

Started by
18 comments, last by Roderik 24 years ago
Hi! Recently I bought the Game Programming Starter Kit 3.0, cause I thought it is time for me to finally get MS Visual C++ and learn Windows Programming with DirectX. Now I have a question to all of you who also own the gamePSK: When I compile a source code with the VC++ Compiler, I get a message box every time I execute the created program, which says that I''m not allowed to distribute the exectable I just created with this Version of VC++. Come on, somebody tell me this ain''t true, I spent quite some money on the damn thing, and on the package it reads "Make and distribute your own games!". Who can tell me what I am supposed to do now??
--------------------------Ghosts crowd the young child's fragile eggshell mind...
Advertisement
This is because the vc compiler that is included with the book is the "introductory" version. It''s cheap enough to be included in the book, and it does give you the opportunity to actually apply what you learn, but that popup is with you until you get a more expensive version of the compiler (check the included help file for information on the different versions)

A polar bear is a rectangular bear after a coordinate transform.
I bought the same thing...And I was pissed too...But, one way to fix that, is if you have Microsoft Visual Basic. (you can download hacked versions off of the net) And write a program that launches your C++ program and clicks the annoying messagebox''s button for you. Thats what I do to get rid of the message. heh heh heh ;]
==============================
whats a signature?
htm[s]l[/s]
If you spent that time it took you to download VB and program the part that pushes the button, by working at a job, then you could buy the real version of VC.

William Reiach - Human Extrodinaire

Marlene and Me

That whole package is crap. I bought it, and it comes with one good C++ book- for advanced programmers who already know C++ and want to take a step further. A Visual C++ book- that doesn''t teach you anything, but instead, shows code on the page and tells you what it results in (no explanation of actual code), and finally, a Visual C++ book for ADVANCED users. The only good thing in that entire package was the Game Design: Secrets of the Sages. That''s cool, and I still read it even since I bought the package back in October.

Programming::~Fredric(const Annoy_Ance)
3D Math- The type of mathematics that'll put hair on your chest!
Gromit, VC costs more than $500 unless you are a student...it takes approx 30 min to download VB and about 5 min to write to write the program. He would have to be making ~1000 per hour.
Well, it wouldn''t take that long to download visual c++ hacked from the web either, so it''s still not reasonable

You are all wrong. Go to ebay and bid for VB and VC each for 50$. Yes, $50 each. They are there all the time, I got both 6.0 versions for 100$ with shipping.

Bworks.Com
You can get VC++ and VB almost anywhere for $50, as long as you send in the rebate. Its the entire Visual Studio Package that cost all the money.

Domini
I bought my VC++ 6.0 Professional off of Amazon auctions for $49 + S&H!!
||--------------------------||Black Hole Productionshttp://bhp.nydus.netResident expert on stuffmax621@barrysworld.com||--------------------------||

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement