Choosing .NET Languages.

Started by
7 comments, last by Antony52 21 years, 8 months ago
Let me clarify something first:I do know VB but since the arrival of C# i dont know whether i should continue with the new VB or choose C#,i have already started reading C# though,which seems very good. So which do you think is best for game development Visual Basic .NET or C# .NET and with which you are most likely to find work in general,that means non gaming related. LISTEN YOU CAN FLAME ALL YOU WANT.THIS IS A FREE WORLD AFTERALL.THE REASON I DONT CARE IS THAT THE MODERATOR WILL CLOSE THE THREAD IF THE THING GETS OUT OF HAND.I JUST WANT YOUR OPINION AND NOT A WAR OF WHOM IS MORE RIGHT.
Advertisement
for games, c++.. or, if you want, c# for the gamestructure, and managed c++ for the lowlevel stuff to work with..

for other stuff: c#

i just hate vb, so i can''t see any point in it..

"take a look around" - limp bizkit
www.google.com
If that's not the help you're after then you're going to have to explain the problem better than what you have. - joanusdmentia

My Page davepermen.net | My Music on Bandcamp and on Soundcloud

It doesnt matter all that much - the languages are virtually identical under the hood. It mostly comes down to what kind of syntax you prefer.

"It is precisely because it is fashionable for Americans to know no science, even though they may be well educated otherwise, that they so easily fall prey to nonsense. They thus become part of the armies of the night, the purveyors of nitwittery, the retailers of intellectual junk food, the feeders on mental cardboard, for their ignorance keeps them from distinguishing nectar from sewage."
Isaac Asimov
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
Let me put it this way:>Which has the easiest syntax and is easy to learn in your opinion?
Hey i always ask this question even if i am not a beginner.
I would look at C# if I were you.

It''s not perfect, but it''s a nice, fairly clean, language, that''s fairly well-suited to the .NET environment.
char a[99999],*p=a;int main(int c,char**V){char*v=c>0?1[V]:(char*)V;if(c>=0)for(;*v&&93!=*v;){62==*v&&++p||60==*v&&--p||43==*v&&++*p||45==*v&&--*p||44==*v&&(*p=getchar())||46==*v&&putchar(*p)||91==*v&&(*p&&main(0,(char**)(--v+2))||(v=(char*)main(-1,(char**)++v)-1));++v;}else for(c=1;c;c+=(91==*v)-(93==*v),++v);return(int)v;}  /*** drpizza@battleaxe.net ***/
C# is decent enough, I only have a passing familiarity with VB but I got the idea that is wasn''t good.

However I would go with C++ if you are smart enough to buy a good book such as Accelerated C++. If you buy a C style book that slaps C++ on at the end then it will be hard to learn and I''d have to recommend C# over that.
Check out http://www.thona-consulting.com/VisualBasicVsCSharp.pdf for a comparison of C# vs. Visual Basic.NET - the differences are pretty significant.

The link stays up til tuesday - then this moves to it''s final location.

Regards

Thomas Tomiczek
THONA Consulting Ltd.
(Microsoft MVP C#/.NET)
RegardsThomas TomiczekTHONA Consulting Ltd.(Microsoft MVP C#/.NET)
It has CONFIDENTIAL plastered all over it. Shouldn''t we be signing NDA''s or something?
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
No. It is confidential and marked as work in progress until it''s final release. Just dont have it reprinted.

Around Wednesday I will take it off and we will have a final version (not confidential) all over the place, and this will be announced on our homepage :-)

Regards

Thomas Tomiczek
THONA Consulting Ltd.
(Microsoft MVP C#/.NET)
RegardsThomas TomiczekTHONA Consulting Ltd.(Microsoft MVP C#/.NET)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement