Discussing with my boss

Started by
13 comments, last by Cedric 21 years, 8 months ago
I just had a discussion with my boss... This is a rant. A cry for compassion. My boss is the owner of a small company doing dumb programming with SQL servers and stuff like that. My boss thinks that abstraction is a disadvantage as far as programming goes. He''s working with VB. He tells me that having function calls is more complicated to debug because you don''t have the "low-level" code right in front of you. He didn''t know that you can call local functions of a form, from another form like thisform.MyInitializationRoutine(), so in each window, there is a hidden button that contains the initialization code in the Button_Click event, and he calls thisform.Button.value = true to call that function. When I told him that local functions could indeed be called from somewhere else, he claimed that it is an undocumented feature . To pass parameters to these functions, he uses hidden text boxes ! In his experience, one good VB programmer is as efficient as 10 C++ programmer. He says that a class in VB is the same as a module. I told him about interfaces and polymorphism, and he said that this is all fancy laboratory stuff that doesn''t in fact allow you to write better code. I have never even seen actual code. I''m not good enough to be a programmer there. I''m just writing the documentation. Snif. Cédric
Advertisement
Awwww...
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
He sounds like a bit of a Maroon. Hiddent text boxes. ugh.

Helpful links:
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way | Google can help with your question | Search MSDN for help with standard C or Windows functions
He''s going to feel like an extinct dinosaur if someone else comes in and rewrites any of his code in an optimized way, and make modifications faster than he can ever know.

Sounds to me like he just enjoys the control of doing things his own way (don''t we all?) but doesn''t want to learn other ways and honestly evaluate what a better solution might be.

I remember not liking the fact that DirectDraw took away all the actual rendering. I was looking forward to optimizing a bitmap draw routine, and then the hardware goes and takes all the work away. Hmmph.
It's not what you're taught, it's what you learn.
Heh, I remember a couple years ago, I forgot how to declare variables in VB (didn''t know the "Dim" keyword, and there were no help files on the comps at my school, I tried "Declare", "Variable" and such, didn''t work). So, since I couldn''t declare variables, I had to use hidden text boxes to store variables too, lol.
Lol, and I thought i knew some incompetent people in good positions! Can''t imagine someone running a company with that type of skill!

Ive had atleast my fair share of less competent bosses. The trick is to stay put, impress them with WORKING CODE (that you do on your own time) that is better than theirs, so that you can progress in the company. I know all this would make me cry as well, but be patient.

SporadicFire.
Hidden text boxes... LOL
N00b boss detected.
GSACP: GameDev Society Against Crap PostingTo join: Put these lines in your signature and don't post crap!
VB6 doesn''t really have inherfaces & polymorphism - you can fudge it if you use COM ConnectionPoints.

Sooo... what''s a good VB, good C++, and good Delphi programmer worth to him and where are you guys located? Your company obviously needs to hire someone
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
quote:Original post by SporadicFire
The trick is to stay put, impress them with WORKING CODE (that you do on your own time) that is better than theirs, so that you can progress in the company.

I have a better trick. Start looking for another job.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement