import 3d models

Started by
4 comments, last by meme 21 years, 7 months ago
Hi all, I been learning to make 3d models on 3D studio max. I was wondering how to import models into opengl and animate them. I know how to define different parts of the models (arms, legs, hands, etc.)and animate them in 3d studio but how do I do that in opengl?? thanks
Advertisement
u have to code it... there aint no support for model files in opegngl... you have to load them up urself and create ur own classes /functions to process the data and call the nessarary opengl commands...

there are a few tutorials on model loading... try NeXe I think they got tuts on model loading and skellital animation.
-=CrAKiN:ShOt=-I could put something witty here but I'm not that stupid...
Take a look at gametutorials they have a ''load animated 3ds'' tutorial there.
As mentioned, OpenGL is strictly for rendering. It ddoes not support loading of models. Either write your own code to load them (if you like the idea of working out the file format!) or use a library such as lib3ds.sf.net to do it for you.
I have a GDK that will load 3ds files but can only animate md2 files. I''m working on a newer version that does non-hierachy skeleton animations but I can only write the plugin for LightWave. I don''t own MAX .

Take a look at my site: http://www.spider3d.com

I have a forum so ask any questions you might have over there.
a simple solution is to use quake md2 format.
very simple to code the animation.

Its my duty, to please that booty ! - John Shaft

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement