Database thoughts

Started by
8 comments, last by Themonkster 21 years, 8 months ago
Hey people, I have just started to design a Management type game. The game is going to need a database to hold all the info. jut wondering where to start with this. I could use a off the shelf soultion I.E ms access or Mysql but I feel these are insecure. The problem is I don''t want people to access the data in the db with ease. Any ideas? Cheers
Advertisement
mysql and such insecure? all the people on the world, all the data stored in databases is either in some sql database or in an microsoft access database!! you really think people would use them if they would be very easy to crack? people who not program a GAME but possibly the whole management interface for a company, all the employes, the prices for stuff, etc..

"take a look around" - limp bizkit
www.google.com
If that's not the help you're after then you're going to have to explain the problem better than what you have. - joanusdmentia

My Page davepermen.net | My Music on Bandcamp and on Soundcloud

quote:Original post by davepermen
all the people on the world, all the data stored in databases is either in some sql database or in an microsoft access database!!

But most of the time you don''t have access to the physical database files...

--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
I guess it depends on the architecture of the game. If it is a mulitplayer game then it is very easy ( and secure ) to set up a database on a server. If it is just a single player game then setting up the deamon for mysql isn''t really worth it. You could do something like an encrypted database in XML in a flat file.

-------
Andrew
If you need alot of data stored, one solution could be using MySQL, as it is open-source you wouldn''t need to run a server at the client machine, but incorporate the server code that executes the SQL statements and reads from the tables, into your executable. The downside to this is the GPL (which make the product you base on the mysql-code also open-source), but you can buy yourself out of it or seperate the code somehow.
I have been playing around with using MySQL in a similar manner, in an information product. Where the customers have on-line access to a central database, but also can maintain a cache/mirror in a local database, and which can be updated/synchronized with a regular CD.
well I wanted to get away from the mysql type thing. Oh and who ever posted about them not being secure believe it or I am a database admin/programmer !!!!

I don''t know If I made it clear I want to get away from of the shelf stuff.

I surpose I could encrypt it.

I have mysql running a demo of an Idea I had for a multi-player game and that worked fine but I want to keep this single player at first.

Well, I think I don''t understand what you''re after. My suggestion was aimed if you had a lot of data that needed storage, it would be a good idea to use existing software, instead of writing your own format and code, for both storage and retrieval. By "insecure" I thought you meant unstable, and if so, you would be much better off with something like MySQL.
If it is that you don''t want ppl to mess with it (which I guess it is when I read your original post again ), then that is another deal. But, implementing encryption or other security measures wouldn''t be any easier to do in a new system than in an existing. You could use MySQL core code, as I outline above, and implement the en-/decryption in the core layer of the code, so your application could query the data as if it wasn''t encrypted.

Just my thoughts...
Hi the data I am going to be using is''nt that complicted so I am going to go with a flatfile approach. Cheers for the advise.

Why not compress it with something like Bzip? And rename the zipped-file so it''s not so obvious how to access it?

[ MSVC Fixes | STL | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost | Asking Questions | Organising code files | My stuff ]
Ok, just some thoughts. As much as I disgust Access as a "real database server", it has some advantages in a given set of conditions, which are:

(a) no high performance requirements (read this as multiple servers, gigabytes of ram etc.
(b) no high security needed. Means: you dont store credit card data.
(c) no multiple users / parallel access (ok, redundnt with (a)
(d) not a lot of data. Please read: this means less than 2Gb per file - that is SMALL for me.
(e) no need for funny fulll SQL (triggers, stores procedures etc.).

Under this conditions, access has a TON of advantages. The most important one: NO INSTALLATION :-) It is just there.

So, for a game, before installing a MySQL Server (which the user has normally NO CLUE on how to use etc.), try sticking with access.

Regards

Thomas Tomiczek
THONA Consulting Ltd.
(Microsoft MVP C#/.NET)
RegardsThomas TomiczekTHONA Consulting Ltd.(Microsoft MVP C#/.NET)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement