Lightwave VS. 3dStudioMax & more...

Started by
2 comments, last by zenassem 21 years, 8 months ago
Can someone give me a link to 3d-art in games 101. I''m just a bit confused of where to begin. I''ve used 3d modeling programs but never outside the modeler/studio. I would like to use my models in directX applications/games. I have plenty of books, programming exper. c++ directX (though I have only done 2d apps and Bitmap grahics). I have enough info and resources to understand how to convert file formats to .x files, what i''m unsure about is which product to use and how they work together. Platform: Windows Language: C++ API: DirectX 8.1 Character Modeling: Just looking for brief Pros & Cons of each (lightwave, 3dstudiomax). What do you guys use? Do you model your characters in either of the these? What about Poser? Do you create your models in poser or do you import files into poser and use it for your animations? Landscape 3d worlds: Create in a modler? Bryce? other eg.(write your own)? and why? Texture Lighting Rendering: In a game do you texture your models in lightwave/3dstudiomax or must this be done by the 3-d Engine? (remeber: This will be my first time trying to develop a 3D demo. I understand that a good engine can handle real-time texturing, lighting, shadowing etc.. but I would be happy moving a 3d character around a square room to start. So can I texture it in the modeler?) Thanks for all and any advice?
~Zen
Advertisement
the more easy is to work in 3dsmax, because you can export to .3ds format AND .3ds format can be re-export to .X format directx format like the same samples of the dx8 sdk, of course you MUST have the dx8 sdk.

So, you need :
3dsmax
some 2d programs such paintshoppro, photoshop..
MS visual studio VC++ or VB (don''t bother with another language).
DX8 sdk full.
and a good graphics card, a lot of memory...
-----------------------------------------------"Cuando se es peon, la unica salida es la revolución"
You can use DX8 w/Lightwave as well. The Lightwave DX8 exporter has more features than the 3DS Max one by 10 fold. And it comes with a viewer so you can compare what you see in your engine.

Lamont G.
CG Artist
San Diego CA
Lamont G.http://www.digitalweaponx.net
Its down to your preference. Use which tool you feel more comfortable with. Do not make your decision based on the built in exporters available, since both packages have many different 3rd party exporters to accomplish any task.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement