Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gowron67

weird error

I am writing a level editor for a 3D game and I have a really strange error when saving out the data to a file type that I designed. The file is arranged into a chunk format whereby the chunk header gives a description of the data type to follow and then gives the length of the data chunk. The length variable is a DWORD. I then have a VERTEX struct which has 5 float variables ( = 20 bytes) and a POLYGON structure which has 3 int variables ( = 12 bytes). To get the length of the chunk I am doing... (in pseudo-code). CHUNK polychunk CHUNK vertexchunk polychunk.length = sizeof(POLYGON)*numpolygons; ... and vertexchunk.length = sizeof(VERTEX)*numvertices; I am absolutely positive that numpolygons and numvertices have the correct number in them because I've done a variable watch during debug...However....the value of the above expressions is evaluating to about 10 times larger than it should be...but if I hardcode the numpolygons and numvertices values, it works perfectly...This is an error I just cannot understand at all. Can anyone help ?? [edited by - gowron67 on August 18, 2002 4:02:00 PM]

What alignment is your structure packed on? There might be some padding stuck in there that''s throwing your file size calculations off. But since you said 10 times bigger - that sounds like your decimal point is off in one of the calculations.