Programming education in England/UK

Started by
22 comments, last by Jason2Jason 21 years, 7 months ago
Well, I don''t agree with dMDI. I did the Computing A-Level (Oxford and Cambridge exam board, IIRC) and found it very useful. I had already been programming for years, but the formal education gets you programming properly, and is no more boring or redundant than a Computing degree is. You''re bound to go over some ground you know already, but there''s no way they can tailor a course to an individual''s exact needs, is there?

[ MSVC Fixes | STL | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost | Asking Questions | Organising code files | My stuff ]
Advertisement
Well, I don''t agree with dMDI. I did the Computing A-Level (Oxford and Cambridge exam board, IIRC) and found it very useful. I had already been programming for years, but the formal education gets you programming properly, and is no more boring or redundant than a Computing degree is. You''re bound to go over some ground you know already, but there''s no way they can tailor a course to an individual''s exact needs, is there?

[ MSVC Fixes | STL | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost | Asking Questions | Organising code files | My stuff ]
If you want to learn about algorithms but never implement them, do Computing.
If you want to learn algorithms such as "bubble sort", do computing.
If you want to get taught that structured programming is the most up to date paradigm, do Computing.
If you want to dedicate 2/3''s of your syllabus to databases and less than 1/3 to any programming, do computing.
If you want to do your practical in a real programming language, and then at the end find that the people who did it in VBA with Access get the same marks as you, do computing.

I speak with experience that is newly gained, i.e. I have just completed an A/S in it. I can honestly say I have learned nothing new in programming this year. For a subject that calls itself "AS Computer Science" - which it does - I''m surprised at the amount of IT content in it and the lack of any maths, computing theory or practical programming in it.

dMDI

"I don''''t know with what weapons the third world war will be fought, but I know the fourth will be fought with sticks and stones." Einstein
"I don''t know with what weapons the third world war will be fought, but I know the fourth will be fought with sticks and stones." Einstein
I may as well do it just to say to people "I've done it", unless you can suggest a better course i can do at college level? I'm not just doing computing, but also business studies, maths, and physics (or at least that what I hope to do!).

-J

:S Confused? Me too! :S

[edited by - jason2jason on August 23, 2002 6:56:51 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement