• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ECKILLER

OpenGL opengl and banshee card

This topic is 6799 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Is a creative labs banshee good at accelerating opengl. A simple large cube with a texture map runs pretty dang slow. 5 frames per second slow and i have a AMD K2-450 and a banshee video card. The cubes 100x100. Its back face is culled. If it is my card whats the best card for opengl under 200 bucks? Also i put my stuff on my web site. What are the top 5 cards i should recommend the downloaders to have? Thanks Frank ECKILLER

Advertisement
For right now a 3DFX Voodoo 3000 is a decent OpenGL compatible card for under 200 dollars; one of its drawbacks though is it only has 16Mb of video memory. I personally like to run it at 1280x1024 with a colordepth of 16bpp; I find the framerate still tolerable at this mode and depth.

It''s possible (and very likely) that your OpenGL drivers are not the newest. After some painfully slow OpenGL experiences with my Banshee I figured out that I was still running in software mode (at least windowed)...anyway, GLSetup seemed to fix my problem, I can now animate objects with hundreds of polys very smoothly in a window, on a P2-200. Hope this helps.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!