Skeletons and scantily clad women...

Started by
0 comments, last by Goodlife 24 years ago
Hi all, Thanks to TheGoop, I''ve implemented some good translucency stuff in my program-- only I have a bit of a problem. This problem is not with DirectX or anything but logic, and I am merely querying to see if anyone has had the problem before, and has a good solution for it. When I draw my translucent 3d objects, I get some overlap on the draw. The upshoot of this is that if I draw a ''behind'' polygon first (translucently) and then draw the ''in front'' polygon, I''ll be able to see the behind polygon through the translucency. So, instead of having a one-level translucent creation, I end up being able to see what is very obviously a 3d object, and it doesn''t look too good. I played around with the sorting, and found that as long as I drew the triangles front to back, they clip like I want them to. I.E. the translucency behaves just like anything else with the Z buffer. SO-- I''m asking if anyone has any superfast method of sorting a series of triangles to determine who is foremost, or if, even better, direct3d has a method like that itself. I want to make sure my triangles are drawn front to back, but the implementation needs to be VERY FAST, as it would rest in the main game loop. Any idears? Thanks in advance! -- Goodlife ----------------------------- Think of your mind as a door on a house. Leave the door always closed, and it's not a house, it's a prison. Leave the door always open, and it's not a house, it's a wilderness-- all the vermin creep in.
-- Goodlife-----------------------------Those whom the gods would destroy, they first drive mad.--DirectX design team official motto
Advertisement
It was a long time ago when I read up on sorting algorithms but if my memory serves me right the Red-Black Tree is one of the fastest way to go.

Some thoughts that might help you:

When rendering translucent surfaces you almost always want to do this back-to-front otherwise the blending gets messed up.

Also when rendering translucent surfaces you should disable depth buffer writings. Since the polygons should be sorted anyway you can gain some performance this way, besides should surfaces intersect they will still both be visible.

When sorting the surfaces, only sort the translucent surfaces as the opaque surfaces are sorted with the z-buffer. Of course if you have a pre-sorting pass (e.g. BSP) the opaque surfaces should be sorted as well.

It can be a good idea to have two rendering passes, the first renders all the opaque surfaces and stores the translucent surfaces for rendering in the second pass.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement