Code Reviews, A Call to Action

Started by
16 comments, last by mordell 24 years ago
zipper, youre still missing the point by a large margin, its not about HAVING to show your code, its about everybody learning and benefitting in the process of sharing ideas and skills.
Look at the formulae for experience (* NULL) derived above. As you see even your experience(if not less than one) could contribute to overall with a lot.
Ever heard of open source software? What do you think in what state todays software would be if nobody ever would share their ideas ? Thats why this messageboard exists after all.
Better go over and read the article, and try understanding for a change.

-kertropp

C:\Projects\rg_clue\ph_opt.c(185) : error C3142: 'PushAll' :bad idea
C:\Projects\rg_clue\ph_opt.c(207) : error C324: 'TryCnt': missing point
-kertropp C:Projectsrg_clueph_opt.c(185) : error C3142: 'PushAll' :bad ideaC:Projectsrg_clueph_opt.c(207) : error C324: 'TryCnt': missing point
Advertisement
Yes, i know its about not HAVING to share, but sharing to be able to get work done faster and to find better ways to do things. I never meant to imply that one would have to, but i guess i did.

And if one more person offends me, im gonna be pissed. I said im sorry, and i don''t want any more mean messages towards me.
ok, ive read the article and i though it was great. it was all very trutful and it made nice sense. Not that i disagreeded in the first place, but it was a good article.
peace,
just wanted to let you know- "A triangle was an improvement to the square wheel, it eliminated one bump"- unknown source

-kertropp
-kertropp C:Projectsrg_clueph_opt.c(185) : error C3142: 'PushAll' :bad ideaC:Projectsrg_clueph_opt.c(207) : error C324: 'TryCnt': missing point
Zipster:
First of all, I apologize. My first post was rather harsh. I was in a pretty sour mood when I wrote it.

However, I still stand behind what I said, I just should have reworded it a little better.

Anyone reading your first post will think that you are an arrogant programmer who thinks he can do everything and doesn''t want to help others. Not saying that you are, but that was my first impression.

You did not make it clear that you are against sharing code with people *not* involved with the project. Most teams don''t show code to people not involved. Code reviews are internal and the code stays within the company/team.

Josh
http://www.jh-software.com
Joshhttp://www.jh-software.com

I just wanted to respond to Zipster. I can understand his reservation. Its a common reaction and he shouldn''t feel guilty for it.

But, there is a big difference between sharing code that you slaved over for your own projects and code that you slaved over that other people rely on to get their jobs done.

That "urge" to copy? I would encourage that of any team members that found any code I had written to be worthwhile. I would much rather spend quality time writing quality software than wasting time re-writing everything.

However you look at it, if you are getting paid to write software, the code you write isn''t yours (unless you pay your own salary). You may have written it, but you don''t "own" it and it is to everyones benefit to offer it up for review. Thats one of the issues the article discusses, losing that "its mine" mentality (not to be confused with responsibility!).

Some benefits include:

- establish team communication
- polished design
- maintain code integrity
- introduction of new team members to code base
- team members are aware of each others projects

bcj:

Unfortunately, our team has had such a closed box mentality for so long it will be hard to break some habits.

For instance, a "lead" on one project is so swamped with enhancements he has to make on an older project, he isn''t making any progress on a new project.

He justifies this by stating "I can still get it done faster than anyone else could do it". He is missing the point, that he needs to be sharing that information that would allow someone else to get up to speed and take over the older project so that he wouldn''t have to revisit it again and could focus on the new project.

Its actually a pretty nasty development cycle that I have endured the last two years (almost). Anyways...I hope to make it better, not by forcing something like a code review down anyones throat, but by providing the information so that they can make an informed decision on their own (hopefully, the right one!).

Yeah, sure... we are laughing WITH you ...
mordell -
I can see that and I can imagine that starting to do something like a code review in the middle (or the end stages) of a project would be hard to get people to do. Though, at that point, would it even help? If I''m able to look at the first 1000-2000 lines of code written I am much better prepared to check the incementally larger and larger amounts of code that will be developed. If I have to jump in and review 10''s of thounsands of lines of code, that would just be too daunting of a task. I hope that your team decides they want to have code review in your next project.

At my job we don''t make big applications, it is most database and web stuff. As a fairly junior programmer I find it very cool when one of the "higher ups" asks me to or lets me read through his/her code. It is even cooler when they ask me to check it or just say "Is that right?" Any day now I''m going to be extending an in-house app that someone wrote and I''m sure I would be able to do it in less than a day had I been involved with the development process, but it will probably take me a little longer since I have to figure out how the thing works first.

happy coding everyone.
bcj
Phew...I''m glass no one''s mad at me (I hate that). Now, Im all for sharing code, and even copying it as long as the person copying it gives credit to the author (or else they''re a little rat-bitch)!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement