mp3 help

Started by
5 comments, last by RPG Hopeful 24 years ago
Does anyone know any source code for playing mp3s? wav files are too big. If ya know, email or icq me.
Advertisement
Me too! I''ve been developing some MP3 player software. But it would be nice to see someone else''s implementation, espacially using DirectSound!
Thanks,
Ben

P.S. For those others developing take a look at "www.wotsit.org" You can get a complete description of the MP3 file format you''ve just got to write the code!
__________________________Mencken's Law:"For every human problem, there is a neat, simple solution; and it's always wrong."
"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."- Popular Mechanics, forecasting the relentless march of science in 1949
Hey people,

I''m pretty sure there''s some code at www.wotsit.org from those lovely chaps at the Fraunhofer (phooey to the spelling) Institute... its all Greek to me, though.

That''s... handy work

Yes, I''m cracking up... time for my medication

-------------
squirrels are a remarkable source of protein...
Don''t completely discount .WAVs. .MP3s are considerably more complex, to the point where you''ll notice the CPU time lost to decode them. Decoding them as you load them instead of as you play them is kind of pointless, because you''ll be using the same amount of memory anyway. And have you ever though about streaming a .WAV, instead of loading it completely off the disk?
Yeah, that''s what I''m doing know, streaming that is. But I''d like to offer users the option of playing MP3''s instead of the supplied music.

It would be a decode at load type player. So it really wouldn''t be any different in terms of required memory to operate just the load time. Which is not that big of a deal.
But thanks anyways,
Ben
__________________________Mencken's Law:"For every human problem, there is a neat, simple solution; and it's always wrong."
"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."- Popular Mechanics, forecasting the relentless march of science in 1949
You could create MP3 RIFF-WAVs for your own sound files if you want compression. The file is technically a MP3, but with a WAV extension and is interperted as if it was in WAV format I think.

However, you mentioned you wanted to allow users to play their own music so I don''t think this is the solution you were looking for...
You should use FMOD. It is easy to use and it can play mp3 stream and mp3 samples.

http://www.fmod.org/

-Hans

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement