Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frazzuld

Okay, I broke down, which version of VC++?

I finally faced the music. My current package jsut sint allowing me to do what I want, and isnt very helpful. Plus there is not much support for it. SO... Which version(standard, professional, enterprise) of VC++ do I get?

If you don''t plan on doing extensive SQL stuff then don''t bother with the Enterprise edition of VC++ unless of course you get it with whole Visual Studio package. The Professional edition is the way to go, especially if you can get it at an academic price.

-Cicco

Enterprise edition adds Visual SourceSafe (which i use at work) which can be VERY helpful when you decide to try out a major change. If you can afford the difference, go for Enterprise (at academic, it was a $99 difference) even though it contains VB, SQL, InterDev, etc..
i didn''t know about SourceSafe when i bought Professional, and wish i had. it would save me from having 100 copies of my project folders.

crazy166

some people think i'm crazy, some people know it

if your really serious, just buy it all (just kidding!). If you plan to use C++, then get the latest, most expensive one which is 6.0 right now, or actually instead of the most expensive one, just go to the software store and compare the different editions of VC++ to see which one bests suits your needs!

Hehe, I dont even know what SQL is yet... I am new to this. That SourceSafe sounds nice... I dont wanna pay that much, even for academic version though. Professional Version, $80 for me

I have little money so I got standard edition at academic price. It seems to work fine for making games with DirectX etc. Personally I dont really see the advantage of getting proffessional or enterprise edition...

- Daniel

I''m going to go against the grain here and reccomend you get the standard edition. The only difference between it and the proffesional edition is that the profesional edition has a profiler and will optimize code -- but that comes at a hefty price tag.

--TheGoop

This may have changed since I bought my version (Professional), but it used to be that you weren''t allowed to distribute executables made with the "Standard" edition. It actually encoded data into your .exe files that basically informed anyone who cared to look that they were created with the Standard edition and couldn''t be redistributed. In fact, if I remember correctly, "Standard" used to be called "Learning" edition...

Just recently I downloaded a person''s demo (from a link someone posted here, I think), and when I ran it, the first thing it showed was a little message box that said something along the lines of "Visual C++ Standard Edition: This executable cannot be redistributed; it is for learning purposes only.". It still ran okay though, of course.

-Hotstone

Guest Anonymous Poster
Well, boys and girls, if it were upto Uncle Freedom (myself), then I would suggest the Visual C++ Enterprise Edition. So what if you loose all your money?? I mean as we all know, programming is more interesting than girls, clothes, or food! Hence, what better to get than VC++ Enterprise!?

With the left over money, you could all praise me, Captain Freedom! Maybe buy a snicker or two, and a video to do the freedom DANCE!!

More good advice...
FREEEEEEEEEEDDDDDDDDDDOMMMM!!!!

It''s fine to release executables with version 6 of VC++. That limitation was just in older versions .

a2k:

A profiler helps you find speed bottlenecks in your code -- it doesn''t optimize it though (the compiler does that).

--TheGoop