Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bosjoh

Double vmem?

I''m writing a game in 800x600 16 bit videomode. Most cards work with 555 and 565, rgb and bgr, but there is just one type of videocard thats still bugging me. It seems that these are rare: it has double videomemory. When I show something that suppose to fill the whole screen on ''normal'' videocards, on these ones it only appears as a ''half screen''. Has anyone run into the same problem, and has experience solving it?

i remember, a long time ago, programming for vesa, where you had to fill part of the screen, set a few video bios registers, then fill the next part of screen, etc.

do you know what brand and model card it is? that may help.

crazy166

some people think i'm crazy, some people know it

I''ve run into the same problem when doing software alpha translucency. Example: I want to blt a texture with half the values so I use the video card''s RGB bit order, but the pic is only one quarter of the destined rect.

this only happens when i try to write to the primary surface.

It happens with my V2 pass through card (main video card goes to v2 then to monitor). I''ve looked for a way around it, but to no avail. The way I fixed part of it, was to use software to calculate the tiles together then blt/flip the product into view.

If the game is in a window, make sure the display mode is 16bpp or you get a similar problem.

I am in exclusive mode.
I have a 640x640 buffer (40 pixels for scrolling) and I''m copying that using lock and then an assembler routine and using unlock again.
I will try to E-mail 3dfx, maybe they know it.