Can you mix OpenGL with Direct X?

Started by
16 comments, last by Fredric 24 years ago
Alright, well it looks like I''ll be going with OpenGL purely because it''s easier. However, once I''m done with OpenGL and I have a decent grasp on 3d aspects as well as rendering and that kind of thing, I''ll move on to Direct X. Why move on and learn both? Because it''s just way better to have both.. that way I''ll be able (like a post mentioned above) to make all my games DX and OpenGL compatible. Thanks for all your help, I greatly appreciate it.

Programming::~Fredric(const Annoy_Ance)
3D Math- The type of mathematics that'll put hair on your chest!
Advertisement
Um, i dont mean to sound rude or like an ass but the creator of Quake was not named John McCormack. His name is John Carmack. Peace.
yeah, i''m using open gl cuz carmack is. if he wears nike, i''ll wear nike.

a2k
------------------General Equation, this is Private Function reporting for duty, sir!a2k
hmm ... why everyone thinks that opengl is better ? In my opinion, those Draw Primitive stuff in direct3d seems more organised to use than opengl. direct 3d graphics don''t really look that bad and multi-texturing is quite intuitive.
Man cxi, Voodoo''s are dog slow in anything above 16bit color, so far(until the Voodoo4&5) every 3dfx card only runs in 16BIT COLOR!. Also, when John Carmak was writing that article, He was comparing OpenGL to DirectX5, when you had to use peice of crap Execute Buffers(or whatever,never used em, read bout em). I think that if he compared DirectX7/8 to OpenGl, it would be much closer, though his love for Linux would probaly keep him from saying that.
I agree with esap1 i first had contact with DirectX 6, and the simplification from 6 to 7 alone was a large step (I cut away a big Part of the initialization, and all this Material and Lighting got much simpler).

Another Thing, why are you all talking about DirectX with VC++, you don''t need Visual C++, you can compile your DirectX Projects with nearly any C-Compiler. I am using Watcom and it works without Problems.

Lars
--------> http://www.larswolter.de <---------
Actually, Carmack was comparing OpenGL with DirectX3 -- not 5 (DirectX5 was the first version to introduce DrawPrimitive).

BTW, as for the quality differences between the API''s: there should be none as long as you know what your doing.

--TheGoop
Actually, Carmack was comparing OpenGL to Direct3D of DirectX 3. Version 5 wasn''t so bad. It added drawprimitive, and thus programmers could avoid using execute buffers.

Direct3D has just gotten better and better. Everyone with common sense agrees that D3D v3 sucked..Some people just tolerated it at the time because the OpenGL driver situation on consumer cards was iffy. Luckily, id took a stand which I believe directly resulted in much better support for OpenGL from vendors and thus more support for OpenGL from other game developers.

In many ways, I think D3D 7 has some slight advantages over OpenGL when it comes to cutting edge features, but I am still using OpenGL for portability reasons. Its nice to run on platforms other than Windows....

Here''s hoping the OpenGL ARB and/or SIGs like Khronos are able to kickstart OpenGL back into the limelight with wider integration of cutting edge extentions, etc.

---

And, to repeat what others have said before me: the answer to your question is that you can mix all of DirectX (including DirectPlay, DInput, DSound, DMusic, etc) with OpenGL as long as you steer clear of D3D or DDraw. There have been rumors for quite some time that Microsoft had an OpenGL32.DLL implementation that could be mixed with DirectDraw, but they never released it because they want to push D3D over OpenGL for gaming. They may release it someday...There IS a PFD_SUPPORT_DIRECTDRAW pixel format flag defined in the newer Microsoft include files for wgl/GDI, but as far as I know it is not generally supported or documented.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement